Thread: Know anything about acid based floor finish?

Know anything about acid based floor finish?

Hi, I am looking into getting a bedroom floor refinished. The last time it was done was 1980 and there are some areas that the finish has worn thru. So I have called a few places that have ads in the local paper. I just spoke to one man and I asked him if the finish was water or oil based. He said it was acid based. I have never heard of acid based finish. It is a product made in Sweden and the name of the product is Synteko. He also said that he would put on two coats. It dries in a about two hours. Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? Or if you have any advice on floor refinishing please feel free to inform me. Thanks. Pete
    Last edited by Pete Lamberty; 09-30-2004 at 2:48 PM.
    Pete Lamberty

I've read about it. It is a two-part finish. That is, the installer mixes together two components, and then applies it to the floor. I think the primary benefit is that the installer can get two coats on in one day.

With a fast curing time like that, there may be an issue keeping a wet edge while he's applying the finish. I'd ask him to show me a floor he's done.

The web site has application instructions (http://www.nam.synteko.com/DataSheets-Classic.pdf) which note that this finish cannot be applied over polyurethane. That is, he's got to sand all the way down to bare wood everyplace he's going to use this stuff. The same instructions also recommend sanding between coats. I'm guessing that scuffing may help adhesion of the next coat. I'd ask him if he's planning on doing that.

Synteko is a very well-known name in floor finishes. The acid-cure stuff your floor-refinisher is talking of using is not available to the general public; pro-buy only, and very high-dollar. In general terms, if any area of a hardwood floor is worn through, the whole floor will have to be sanded down to bare wood before it can be finished again. And, if it was last done in 1980, I would highly recommend having it totally redone. 25 years is an acceptable life of a floor finish, though the Synteko product may top 50. Finishes today are light-years ahead of where they were 25 years ago in terms of durability, ease of application, hardness, etc.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thanks for the info. I went to the web site also and learned some things. One thing that I found out is that the workers have to wear respirators. We should leave the house while this stuff dries. I don't care for the sound of that. I don't like the idea of health concerns. But it can be done in one day with two coats. The people who use the oil base have told me that the room would need to be empty for 48 hours. Not terrible. Decisions decisions. Thanks again. Pete
    Pete Lamberty