Thread: oil spraying from vacuum pump

oil spraying from vacuum pump

i use the (admittedly cheap) 1.6 or so cfm vacuum pump from HF; while it does an excellent job of establishing and maintaining vacuum (at least 22"), it sprays lubricant out of the base of a knob - is this a vent, a necessary action, or am i doing something wrong? larry marley, you use this pump, don't you? and info? thanks, mike

Hi Mike, I do have the 2.5 CFM version.

I removed the exhaust baffle and installed a Plexiglas plate with a gasket using two hose clamps. I drilled and tapped it to accept a hose fitting and directed the exhaust to two in line filters. These are the same filters that Steve is using. It seams to catch the oil mist pretty well.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I haven't noticed any significant amount of oil coming out of mine (I have the 2.5 CFM). Did you overfill the oil level? It is not supposed to be all the way to the top, just to the fill line. There is supposed to be a filter in that exhaust cap, but it may not be working. If so, replacing it with a filter like Larry mentioned should do the trick.

larry, ryan, thanks alot, guys - i'll make some mods to mine this week. it's getting kinda messy. oh, i have the 2.5, too - not the 1.6; will post pics when i'm done.