Thread: Craftsman plane

Craftsman plane

Does anyone out there happen to know what manufacturer made this Craftsman jack plane?

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Chris,

This one looks like it was made by Millers Falls.
    I'm guessing this because of the 'dimples' on the heel and toe of the sole, the red frog, and the knurling on the depth adjustment screw.

Cheers,
    Stu

Millers Falls most lilkely.
    The raised and rounded bump in the casting under the front knob, the red frog, the bumps at the toe and heal and the large, silver, finely knurled depth adjuster are all classic Millers Falls design.

(sorry to jump on your post, Stu, got distracted while replying!)

Blog Entries
    I would have to agree with Stu and Bob.

A look at the lateral adjuster would be the best information.

Sargent used what looked like an upside down V bend. Stanley also used this on some of their cheaper models.

Miller falls used what looked like an upside down L bend.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

On the side, reading toe to heel, does it read:

Craftsman No. 3747

If so, that would further suggest Millers Falls.

A couple of more photos.

Chris

One more photo.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Shiny looking plane. Still can not get a good view of the lateral adjuster, but it does look like Millers Falls product.

I like the treatment on the side. I have thought of doing the sacrilegious and attempting an "engine turned" look on the side of one of my planes just for fun.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am another vote for Millers Falls. The rear handle has the classic MF shape to it and the lateral adjustment lever appears to have the turned down tab of the MF as well.
    It doesn't show on the pictures but I would guess that there is no frog adjustment screw at the back of the frog. The MF made Craftsman planes didn't have it AFAIK.
    Beautiful planes and very well made BTW.
    MC

I found a link, but not the picture that was on this forum. Add www in front of this (commercial site so I am not placing a permanent link):

brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

and look at the lateral adjuster lever (Several people made Craftsman planes).

EDIT, link here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81687 Post 12
    Last edited by Randal Stevenson; 11-15-2009 at 11:49 PM.

That's not a very reliable indicator by itself.
    Stanley, who made planes for numerous other companies, used a lateral adjuster that closely resembles Sargents, on planes produced for third parties. That same lateral adjuster is also seen on their "Handyman" line.
    Millers Falls has the single leg fold but so did others at various times.

The shape of the ring at the base of the front knob and the cast bumps at heal and toe are the real tell tale clues. No other maker used that style in that combination.
    Coupled with the distinctive knurling and thinness of the depth adjuster nut and you have Millers Falls. The red frog is icing on the cake.

If we could see the front face of the frog there would be three other indicators.
    The shape of the recess that accommodates the cap screw, the recesses for the frog screws and the thickness of the sole where frog ends.
    The recess for the cap screw is more square than Stanley designs that have a full flat frog. The radius in the corners being much smaller on the MF with longer straight lines.
    The frog screw recesses are let in at a backward angle on the Millers Falls designs while on Stanleys the recesses are almost straight up 90deg to the sole.
    The frog extends a little bit closer to the sole on Stanleys as well.

A plane of this age if it were made by Stanley would probably have the "kidney" shaped hole on the lever cap and would have the distinct ring under the front knob. There would not be any raised bumps at the heel and toe. It would also have a frog with numerous indentations in it, not mostly flat like on Millers Falls and much older Stanleys.
    The depth adjusting nut would have the familliar three rings and be a little thicker. The depth adjusting yoke would most likely be one piece cast metal but could be two piece as well.

Sargent, the other maker, would differ.