Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Finished!!!

Finally Finished!!!

Well, the shop cabinets are done!! Well, the first set anyway. It has taken me 3 months to do, but they are done. I finished up the drawers on Saturday. All the cabinets are made out of 3/4" Red Oak plywood from Menards. All the face frames and doors are made from solid red oak and MDF. I used a one piece cope and stick bit from MLCS for the rails and stiles. Worked out pretty nice. I just had some issues with the router plate. Seems that my 3 1/4HP Freud is a little too heavy for it. I have an aluminum plate on the x-mas list. Everythig is finished in tung oil except for the MDF portion of the doors. That is just done with wipe on poly. I am thinking that I should have done those in tung oil as well to save myself a step. It was a real PITA. Lessons learned I suppose. Now I need to finish the coutertop and start on the other wall of the shop. Let me know what you think.

CHuck

DSC00056.jpg DSC00057.jpg DSC00058.jpg DSC00059.jpg DSC00060.jpg DSC00061.jpg

Great job. I'm sure you'll stare at them every time you enter your shop, and grin from ear to ear...

Now, get to work on the other side!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Wow! That looks great!

I'd be happy with that in my kitchen!

Looking GREAT Chuck! I know you'll enjoy those for years to come. Very nice work.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Looks like you are really starting to get the shop together Chuck.

Nice job on the first set of cabinets..
    When's the next batch getting started.

Go Chuck! When did you say you were coming to Idaho to build the cabinets for my shop?

Nicely done Chuck. Good looking cabinets that should last a long while!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice, Chuck. You did an excellent job on the layout, as well as the construction.

So, what height did you end up using? I know it was discussed in the other thread, but I don't recall. Do you like the "feel" of them for wheelchair use?

I notice the outlet height looks like it could be a pretty good reach where there is no knee space. Did that work out OK for you reaching over the cabinets and not being able to get close to the wall to access the outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Very nice, Chuck. You did an excellent job on the layout, as well as the construction.
    Thanks you sir...

So, what height did you end up using? I know it was discussed in the other thread, but I don't recall. Do you like the "feel" of them for wheelchair use?
    They still need to be mounted onto the wall, but I think that finished height, with counter tops, is going to be around 30 1/2". It just depends on how level the floor in the shop is and how much we are gong to have to shim them. We will see.I do like the feel of them. They are at a nice height. They are much better than the ones that are in my kitchen. Those are at 36" and it sucks. I think that they might be getting lowered one of these days.

I notice the outlet height looks like it could be a pretty good reach where there is no knee space. Did that work out OK for you reaching over the cabinets and not being able to get close to the wall to access the outlet?
    The outlets aren't bad to reach at all. They are close enough to the roll under sections that I can reach them fairly easy. I plan on hard wiring some outlets along the front of the cabinets at some point. We will see.

Chuck

Wonderful job! You're lucky.

One question: Is that 3/4" mdf for the countertops? Not sure I'd trust that...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Wonderful job! You're lucky.

One question: Is that 3/4" mdf for the countertops? Not sure I'd trust that...
    Yes, it is 3/4" MDF. It is not finished yet. I am going to run some supports across the roll under sections and then I will put it in place. I am then going to put a layer of 1/4" hardboard over the top. This area will not be used for heavy stuff. All assembly will be done on my new assembly table when I get it. And also on the outfeed table. This are will be mostly used to store crap I am sure.

Very nice Chuck. Both my large 48" x 72" and 30" x 42" assembly tables have 3/4" ply tops I re-enforced underneath with 3 coats of poly to keep glue from sticking. If you have intended heavy use as you state.. I think you are fine as mine has held up to some pretty rigorous use for over 10 years since they were made.

Keep up the excellent shop build...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice cabinets. Those would look good for a kitchen IMO.

-Brian

Chuck, those are great looking cabinets. Did you make a few to many?. I can a few off your hands if you like. Your are doing an outstanding job building your shop.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Chuck, those are great looking cabinets. Did you make a few to many?. I can a few off your hands if you like. Your are doing an outstanding job building your shop.

Sam
    Just the opposite Sam, I did not make enough. I have another wall to build cabinets for. It will include a drill press stand, miter station, a spot for a bench-top mortise machine and more. I will start on them shortly. I am also going to build a mobile lumber rack. It is going to incorporate sheet goods, long lumber and cutoffs. Lots of work to do. After that, then I might be able to start on a real project.

Chuck

Chuck,

Great looking cabinets and I know it's going to be one GREAT shop.....

I'm just curious why you used MDF on those oak cabinets?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution