Thread: Grizzly 1023SLX or G0961

Grizzly 1023SLX or G0961

Any opinions between a used 1023SLX with a couple accessories for $800 or a new G0961 for $1350 shipped to my door. Just getting into woodworking and mostly turning but want to get shop set up while I am working and can afford to buy tools for retirement.
    Thanks

G0691

The 691 is available for $1215 until the end of the year.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...50509#poststop

I should be ordering one later this week. I prefer the riving knife.

MK

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    I almost bought a used 1023 but decided on getting new as in a GO690

Glad I did and here it is................................

Smooth running too

JEFF

Dave, as you can see from my thread mentioned above, get the 691 with the riving knife. Its a great machine, fence is great, it runs very smoothly, definitely passes the nickel test. I LOVE mine.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

The G0690 has a couple of advantages. The question is whether or not the advantages are worth that much of a premium to you. For the difference in price you get a US made Leeson motor, a riving knife, and a slightly upgraded fence. They are otherwise very similar saws, and once setup properly and equipped with a good blade, you won't be able to tell which saw did the cutting.

FWIW, you can buy an aftermarket riving knife called the Bolt On Ripping Knife (B-O-R-K) that will fit the G1023...it's ~$100.

Good luck with your decision.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Anybody want to guess where I stand on this question??
    To the OP: I would have bought the 1023 last year if funds were available. Glad they weren't because I really believe the riving knife is a great addition. The Leeson motor is just icing on the cake. Both great saws for the money.
    I think you have to call the order in to get the 1215.00 price shipped. There is a code you have to tell them that is on the ad. I believe the code is: 09WOODM Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Definately the 0690 or 0691 with the riving knife. IMO the riving knife is a must-have safety feature.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Depends on the accessories!

The G1023 is a very nice machine. If you can get a good used one for short money, all the better -- especially if it comes with some useful accessories.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lee NC View Post
    Any opinions between a used 1023SLX with a couple accessories for $800 or a new G0961 for $1350 shipped to my door. Just getting into woodworking and mostly turning but want to get shop set up while I am working and can afford to buy tools for retirement.
    Thanks

The G0691 is a terrific saw - especially at the current $1215 shipped.

(Jim, you better jump on one these soon before some other temptation gets into your table saw stash )
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    The G0691 is a terrific saw - especially at the current $1215 shipped.

(Jim, you better jump on one these soon before some other temptation gets into your table saw stash )
    Not going to happen. I've been at this for 11 months so far, nothing, I mean NOTHING is getting in the way!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    Haha - Im pretty confident that Jim has a hard time buying himself food before that table saw...
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hanko View Post
    Haha - Im pretty confident that Jim has a hard time buying himself food before that table saw...
    You been talking to my wife??? She actually had the gall to stop me from taking money out of the dog food funds.
    Actually, the reason that it is taking so long is there are no funds from the regular pay check going to this cause. (LOML says I should change the last word in the previous sentence to obsession!!) But the time and dedication will make me appreciate the saw that much more... Yeah, that's the ticket...appreciate the saw that much more. Jim.

Come on Santa, being a few weeks early for a change wouldn't kill ya, would it?

Wink

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to go with the 0691 for the riving knife. $1215 is hard to pass up for a new saw. Seems to be a good safety feature. Mean while I am going to keep looking for a deal on a Sawstop. Missed a 1 1/2 year old one for $2000 last week.