Thread: Wood magazine art deco clock

Wood magazine art deco clock

Saw this one a short while ago, in a Wood magazine from which I was building a cherry bedside table. With Christmas coming up and having some 1 7/16" clock inserts to use up, I went out to my garage yesterday afternoon, and in a few hours, this was completed. I'll refine it more, but the basic clock is very nice. I'll be putting these up for sale at work too. This morning, showing this off with a pizza paddle I'd also made, I got a pizza paddle order right away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice little idea for the xmas season Patrick...

And real upside is one could use scraps that would otherwise see the burn barrel.
    Good luck with selling them at work.

Patrick,
    I like that, but, you did a better job than I did. For shame. (lol).
    They are fun to make. And a good way to use scrap wood up too.
    Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Very nice Patrick. I really like the simple but yet modern design and that would make a nice Xmas present for my soon to turn 16 yr. old favorite neice. Where did you get the clock if I may ask. I assume it is battery powered as I am not a whiz in that arena?

Great...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Where did you get the clock if I may ask.

Great...
    I picked up three such movements at my local Rockler last year during inventory reduction. Got 'em so cheap I had to buy them. But I found this site: http://www.woodworkingparts.com/ that has many different clock inserts for $4.99 which is the best price I've found for such inserts. For the record, I really like Klockit, they have great service and I've never been disappointed by them.

Wow, I have the wood to build three of them out of zebrawood and ash over Thanksgiving. We are giving them to several people for Christmas.

edit: My wife is curious what wood that is.

Thanks again Patrick... I am ordering 4 of the clocks this morning as my wife told me that if I did not include her.. SIL.. MIL I would be reading an obituary with my name at the top just after Xmas.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Good job on the clock and hope sales go well.

What material are you using for the Pizza paddle? I made one for LOML a couple of years ago from pine and finished with mineral oil. This morning I found that she had washed it and left it wet and it had curled up the sides about 1/2". Guess I will have to try to wet it and reverse the curl. I should have renewed the oil finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post

edit: My wife is curious what wood that is.
    The wood is cherry (base) and the center piece and wings are walnut. No stain or dye of any kind - I just hit the whole thing with Deft gloss spray poly and it came out beautiful. I guess the wings came from a lighter piece of walnut, but that just adds to the look. The center really has depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    What material are you using for the Pizza paddle?
    The pizza paddles are walnut with maple stripes. I made one previously with cherry and walnut.