Thread: What do you all think of this bandsaw? Opinions needed

What do you all think of this bandsaw? Opinions needed

Test from ad:
    I have a 18in wood/metal band saw for sale. This is a Gil-Bilt kit saw It has multiple speeds; a large adjustable table, a bunch of saw blades and complete instructions. I have used it many time and it works very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Not sure I understand the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    Test from ad:

Jeff,
    Is there a brand name on the saw? I can't tell from the photos and you didn't quote a asking price so opinions are pretty hard to pass on with out more info unless someone on SMC has the same saw or is familiar with this make.
    Jason,
    The "TEXT" from the add.
    David B

Ohhhhh... "TEXT" -- got it. He said "test...." Wasn't sure what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Jeff,
    Is there a brand name on the saw? I can't tell from the photos and you didn't quote a asking price so opinions are pretty hard to pass on with out more info unless someone on SMC has the same saw or is familiar with this make.
    Jason,
    The "TEXT" from the add.

Wasn't that a "kit" saw with a plywood frame?

I would not buy it, if that's the opinion you are looking for. It is a mystery saw, so at the very least you will have a hard time sourcing parts. It has no distinguishible exceptional characteristics that would warrant the potential hassle that it will be to set up properly. That drive belt "tensioning" system is ridiculous as well. Run away.

Unless it is DIRT cheap I wouldn't touch it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the info everyone, I was able to figure out it was a kit saw, the frame is wood and he wants $250, so it's not worth it to me..

Sorry about the "test".

I am a Quality Assurance Engineer and write test so many times that when I want to write text sometimes test comes out
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Wasn't that a "kit" saw with a plywood frame?
    Tony is right.Goggle Gil Built band saw.It comes as a kit with wheels,guides,etc and you build the frame yourself.Try it out if you can might be a good saw if its cheap enough.18" is a nice size.

Whoops not fast enough!