Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ Jointer Decision

Help w/ Jointer Decision

First a summary of the work I do and tools I have. I'm a hobbyist that has a space limited garage shop. I currently have a ShopFox 6" closed stand jointer and a Delta 22-580 planer. I almost exclusively use rough sawn lumber. For most of my smaller projects this combo has worked out great. Both tools work flawlessly - which also makes the decision harder. Soon I will be working on new kitchen cabinets for our house. All of the lumber is 6" + in width. I have used the double feed method with success but very time consuming. Also, I'm just completing an unusually big project for me - and entrance door. With the long/heavy boards it became difficult to keep my 48" long jointer from tipping.

My choices:

1) keep what I have

2) I see Grizzly has the G0490 price reduced with free shipping, Bing cashback, and selling my current jointer for approx $480 (but this has a l-o-n-g bed - good for wood - bad for shop space, but I can fit it).

3) ToolsPlus and others have the Jet JJP-12 on sale less selling my jointer & planer for approx. $1200 (don't know if combination is the way to go, like the 12" jointer capacity, & don't like the short bed)

Any experience with these machines and opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Here is another option: look for a used Delta/Rockwell or Powermatic 8' jointer. They typically go for around $500-$800. Replace the cutter head bearings if you need to (easy job, less than $20). Put it on a mobile base to save space when you aren't using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Radice View Post
    Here is another option: look for a used Delta/Rockwell or Powermatic 8' jointer. They typically go for around $500-$800. Replace the cutter head bearings if you need to (easy job, less than $20). Put it on a mobile base to save space when you aren't using it.
    Thanks - I have been looking for one for months (Fyi - many on CL spell it joiner). I found a newer Griz but the seller was firm at $700 - for not much more I could buy new.

Mike

I recently purchased the Grizzly G0490 8" jointer. I'm fairly new to woodworking so have nothing to compare it to. What I can tell you is that the customer service I've received from Grizzly has been excellent. I received a damaged Griz 15" planer 2 weeks ago, and not only did Grizzly take charge of handling the claim with the shipper, but they also shipped me a new planer before the shipper even came by to pick up the damaged one....wow! Also, my jointer shipped with a damaged motor (elect short I believe) and they immediatey sent me a new motor no questions asked and told me to keep or toss the damaged motor. I have no opinion on whether Jet or Griz make better tools; I have heard from others that Griz may have an edge on the cost/performance curve. I also own a Grizzly G0690 table saw and have been very happy with it.

Hope this helps.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Hi Mike, my 2 cents.

I have had a combination machine and they are not for me. The beds are always shorter. I just like separate machines.

On the jointer, the bigger the better. I would rather get a 12" jointer with a long bed. Or get at least an 8". Big difference between an 8" and 12", go with the 12" if you can.

You have a 12" planer that will get you by. Now you have time to watch CL for a good used larger planer. Or, wait until you can get a new larger planer.

If you go with a combination machine you will be right back where you are now, and you will not be happy with the short bed.

Others will say that combination machines are great, and they are, but there is a compromise.

Sam

i use the grizzly 8" you're looking at. also build doors and windows, no complaints. the only issue i've had is i'm used to using older tools with plenty of aged iron that don't need that much to keep the beds and tables from rusting. i have to wax this new iron a lot more than i'm used to .

it doesn't cut very smooth with a small spiral head, it scallops quite a bit, but that's to be expected. for surfacing it's plenty adequate for up to an 8 foot door stile.

it comes with the head and beds fully assembled, you just mount it all to the base and wire the motor how you want it, add a power plug and you're in business.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 11-18-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Several folks here who own combos with short beds say they're not a problem. I like my nice long G0490X beds and that tall fence. Neither is better or worse, just different and the improvement or penalty of bed length will vary with what you do and how you do it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

combos

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Mike, my 2 cents.

I have had a combination machine and they are not for me. The beds are always shorter. I just like separate machines.
    Sam
    Shorter than what? My combo J/P has a 78" long bed without any extensions. A 20" long, cast iron extension lives on the outfeed side giving me nearly 100" of bed length. If I need more than that, I can add a 32" long one to the infeed side.

Combos offer a lot of bang for the buck, particularly with the increased jointer capacity. If the brand chosen doesn't offer extensions, both Felder and Aigner offer them. Very beefy, rock solid and can be added to most any machine. I bought Felder extension rails for three sides of my MM20 bandsaw table and can affix a 20" extension wherever I need it.

Regards,

John

What I cant joint with a 6" jointer I use a surface planer and sled to compensate. A good router and sled and you can joint any board of any length (assuming time is not a factor). I would keep your solid machines and work around them.

Took a look at the felder site (way out of my league). Any of those outfeed/infeed tables universal? I have a Jet Bench top jointer (8") and have been itchin to find something to extend the tables.

Tim

I have the Grizzly 490x w/ spiral head and its a great machine.

I too have a smaller shop and while my machine fits in there with everything it is a bit cramped. Parts of me wish i had bought a combo machine. I spent some time with the MiniMax combo machine and its beautiful.

There is certainly something to be said having separate machines, too...its a tough call IMO. I'm satisifed with my decision, but I am certain i would have been satisfied had i gone combo machine.

What I was thinking about was the potential to move into a different house in a few years and have more dedicated shop space - then two machines is a no brainer. If you're not planning on moving or building a shop in the next 5-10 years, then maybe consider a combo machine and enjoy having extra space.

I hate to burst your bubble but I think you're being way to optimistic on how much you can get out of your current jointer and planer, especially in todays buyer-friendly economy. After upgrading to a Hammer J/P I just sold my DW733 which went pretty quick at $150. I'm hoping to get $350 on the PM54 jointer but I may have to wait a while to get it. There's a fair selection on CL that I'm competing with too. I hope you prove me wrong but $1200 sounds overly optimistic.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allaire View Post
    What I cant joint with a 6" jointer I use a surface planer and sled to compensate. A good router and sled and you can joint any board of any length (assuming time is not a factor). I would keep your solid machines and work around them.
    I totally agree with the above statement. If your current machines have served you well, then keep them. I also have a 6" jointer, and never saw the need for anything larger, being a hobbiest. At times the answer is improving your skills, sometimes in the form of a workaround, rather than just continually buying more and larger capacity tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble but I think you're being way to optimistic on how much you can get out of your current jointer and planer, especially in todays buyer-friendly economy. After upgrading to a Hammer J/P I just sold my DW733 which went pretty quick at $150. I'm hoping to get $350 on the PM54 jointer but I may have to wait a while to get it. There's a fair selection on CL that I'm competing with too. I hope you prove me wrong but $1200 sounds overly optimistic.
    Sorry - maybe some confusion. What I meant is my out of pocket would be $1200 for the J/P ($1700 less $500 for selling the current pair).

Extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allaire View Post
    Took a look at the felder site (way out of my league). Any of those outfeed/infeed tables universal? I have a Jet Bench top jointer (8") and have been itchin to find something to extend the tables.

Tim
    Yes, they are all universal and basically rely on a flat metal bar with spacers that you bolt to your in or outfeed table. The limiting factor though is the size of the bar and how beefy your castings are. The bars are about 1 1/2" wide, so they work best on jointers where the "thickness" of the table at the end is greater than this. You could mount it to one with a thinner edge, but you'll need at least 1" or so to drill the holes, etc.

They are also very heavy. 5" wide, 20" long cast iron extension and support bar probably weigh close to 25 pounds. You'll want to ensure your table is beefy enough to support it.

You might check out the Felder or Aigner catalogue online. They both sell the same thing.

Regards,

John