Thread: HF dust collector on it's side?

HF dust collector on it's side?

I bought the 2hp HF dust collector a while back, and made a few modifications. I turned the center ring into a Phil Thien style baffle, and mounted it on top of a 60 gallon drum. I then vented it outside. In an effort to conserve space, I'm wondering if I can mount the motor and fan assembly directly on top of my baffle on it's side? Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be welcome. Here's a pic to give a better idea what I'm talking about-

Seems like it'd work to me. Looks like a great idea.

Can be done. Although some people keep a couple of feet between the blower and the separator and connect the two w/ hose. Why? Cause otherwise you have to lift the blower each time you want to empty the bin. And it is heavy lifting.

Thanks. I thought it would be ok, and it ran fine for the half day I was in the shop yesterday, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obvious problem. I might take your advice Phil, and mount the blower to the wall a couple feet above to make emptying easier.

5. Jason if you are using a planer you will get real tired of lifting the unit off the drum. I agree you mount the blower on the wall high enough to make the drum eaiser to get to. I mounted my Jet 1100 on the wall and it was a hefty lift to just get there. I can't imagine lifting each time I wanted to empty the chips.

Harold

Here are some pics of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with hanging it on the wall if possible. The motor is heavy and awkward to lift.

Click here for some photos of my implementation of the Thien baffle

Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

thein baffle

What fittings did you buy for the trash can ?
    I'm in the process now of putting my set-up together.

Thanks

You mention that you vented it outside. IMPORTANT NOTE of you're in the north (cold climate) and have gas appliances (furnace, water heater, dryer) the negative pressure caused by having the dust collector vented outside could draw deadly, colourless, odorless, carbon monoxide gas into the house from the chimneys inless you have a make up air unit.
    Play safe
    Best Regards
    Pete

Deb,

If the fittings question was directed at me...

I used a black 4" dust collection elbow for the input, and I cut a short length of 5" galvanized duct for the center mounted output.

I attached them with 1" "L" brackets and pop-rivets, and used silicone caulk and some tape to seal the edges.

Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

How do you easily empty the trash can ?Will it slide out from under the lid easily?

13. Can you post the Thein Baffle design for the Center Ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hallowell View Post
    I bought the 2hp HF dust collector a while back, and made a few modifications. I turned the center ring into a Phil Thien style baffle, and mounted it on top of a 60 gallon drum. I then vented it outside. In an effort to conserve space, I'm wondering if I can mount the motor and fan assembly directly on top of my baffle on it's side? Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be welcome. Here's a pic to give a better idea what I'm talking about-
    I'm hoping someone can help me replicate this design - I have a center ring from a City Steel DC, it has a angled flange on one side, I assume thats not going to disqualify it from serving as Jason shows here. I just want to make sure I design the baffle correctly... any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Ethan

Ethan,
    Do a search for Thien Baffle (Phil Thien posted in this thread), and you'll find both photos and some good descriptions of the concept. Works like a charm--and was one of my first "woodworking" projects...has to be pretty easy to do if I did it.
    earl