Thread: So... how DO you lift a 220 lb DC????

So... how DO you lift a 220 lb DC????

It's about 220 lbs. as it is in the photo if the weights on the boxes are correct. Took 2 bites with the come-along... cable is a little too short for one long pull. The scary part was working under it to install the wall bracket. OF COURSE I set up 2 safety ropes, but still, once the scaffold moves out it's just me, gravity and a rope supposedly at 400# test.

I did fire it up and it's a loud one in the shop. Amazingly, 10 feet away from the shop's outside wall it's pretty tough to hear. Just lagged to 2, 2x6's which are lagged across 3 of the wall studs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Nicely done Mitch!

Yes sir they are loud!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

So... how DO you lift a 220 lb DC????

Get two strong neighbors to lift the assembled unit onto the wall bracket!

Nice job, Mitch!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

When I did mine, I lifted the top part on to the braces, then added the mid section.

I would not recommend lifting it the way I did. Having two people there is a much better idea.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    it's a loud one in the shop. Amazingly, 10 feet away from the shop's outside wall it's pretty tough to hear.
    I just installed a 3HP Grizzly cyclone. I build a closet around it with OSB on the outside and acoustical ceiling tiles lining the inside. I saw a drop of 13 dB. More importantly, it dropped from a very uncomfortable 88db to a very livable 75 dB.

I also didn't mount it to the wall, I used a separate isolation stand on vibration feet. See http://www.thewoodnerd.com/blog/?p=32 for a shot of the stand. I'm finally finishing the painting and I'll be posting shots of the finished closet soon.
    Last edited by Cliff Holmes; 11-22-2009 at 9:49 PM.

Very cool. And ... yes, that does look like the right way to do it!
    Duane McGuire

Nice, Mitchell, Congrats. Installing these wonderful machines requires physical effort, but the end result is just great.

BTW, do NOT fire that thing up again without ductwork attached. Really. You can burn out the motor very quickly. Oneida warns about this....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm half way through installing my new (to me, but pre-owned) Woodsucker II cyclone. That mother was heavy. It took two of us to take it down, and we removed the cyclone from the motor/impeller assembly. I put two 2x6s across three studs, with each 2x lagged into the stud twice. I realize it is a bit of overkill, but I had the lag bolts and the wood. When I get back home I will be lifting the cyclone assembly, and my wife will be hand tightening the bolts to attach the cyclone body to the motor and impeller that is currently hung on my workshop wall.

And yes, these are heavy mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    It's about 220 lbs.
    Fully assembled on a stand except filter and elbow by myself. One of the least intelligent things I have ever attempted. Felt lucky to be alive after it was over.

-Brian

Folks keep wanting to do this the hard way.

Just two of us, my dainty wife and I, quickly mounted my unit almost 10' high up against a wall using NO jacks, no come-a-longs, no pulleys, etc. "Come on, you're kidding!" you say. Nope, it is true!!!

Here's how- use two 2 x 4's that are 1/2" shorter than your ceiling height to make stilts. Determine how high you will mount the cyclone and mount two "rungs" on the stilts at the positions of the cyclone brackets. Temporarily put the stilts against the wall so you can locate and drill bolt holes in the wall top plate or studs. Then assemble the completed cyclone to the stilts, set the feet against the wall, tilt it up like a ladder, and attach the stilts to the wall. As you walk it up and the angle gets steeper, the amount of effort decreases until it is almost nil in the vertical position because the stills support almost all the weight- my wife held it while I bolted the stilt assembly to the wall. Once mounted to the wall you can cut off the legs if you want. I left them in place which allowed me to lower it with a rope by myself to replace bearings.

Nice solution. My wife and I ended up using my Unisaw as a scaffold and intermediate resting point. Having to move the full weight only 2 feet at a time in the vertical direction helps alot. I only had about 2 inches of vertical clearance once it was installed, so an overhead pulley wouldn't have really worked. I actually found myself repeating, "this thing is really overbuilt." But once it was hefted into place I got to sit back and admire it in all of its glory.

First run - no ductwork a NO-NO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Nice, Mitchell, Congrats. Installing these wonderful machines requires physical effort, but the end result is just great.

BTW, do NOT fire that thing up again without ductwork attached. Really. You can burn out the motor very quickly. Oneida warns about this....
    Yep. I did need to make sure it ran at all before continuing. (ya never know). A half minute shot....

The majority of the ductwork is done. I'll post some pics soon.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC