Thread: Bedside lamp

Bedside lamp

With the bedroom set that I've been steadily completing (platform bed in cherry - still needs drawers underneath), 9 drawer cherry dresser, two drawer solid cherry bedside table - I realized I needed not only a bedside lamp, but also a project that doesn't use cherry! Not that I don't like it, but I settled on walnut both for contrast, and because I love working with it.

Here it is. From an old Woodsmith mag, with a unique system of joining the four pieces on the inside, a method that involves using half of a dovetail router bit's surface, and running the workpiece thru upright against the router table backboard, then flat against the table. I'll have to get some pictures of the scrap pieces I cut to 'dial in' the settings on the dovetail bit, wherein I found that I'd nailed it the first time.

I bought the shades at a Target a couple months ago, and the coordinate nicely with the arts & crafts lamp design. I used Deft dark walnut danish oil, which thankfully dried overnight,instead of 3 days for the other danish oil I usually use. The lamp mechanism is a 3-way, as is the bulb.

What's not to like?

Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking lamp and you are right...the shade compliments the arts & crafts design perfectly.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Great job on the lamp. I agree with Cody on the shade, and it spreads some nice light on that nice cherry nightstand!

Nice looking lamp Patrick.
    What is next on the agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    What is next on the agenda?
    Well, Gary, I'm already at work on a A&C table lamp with stained glass shade. Got the plans as a free download from the MinWax site (I've made a couple of projects from their plans). Their plans call for pre-made stained glass, of the "swirly marble colored glass" variety, to be purchased from the internet. I decided to buy raw glass at HD and download a Tiffany design, and paint the glass myself, for a more unique, and home made look. Got everything together last night for the design, but I'll have to wait till tonight to start the actual stained glass work.

Since that project is 'nother Christmas present, I'll have to hustle!

Excellent work and result Patrick.... I like the design quote a bit.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler