Thread: Desk clock for daughter

Desk clock for daughter

Probably the greatest "hard work to size of project ratio" project I ever did. Man, I thought many times I'd never get this completed. Not that it was that complex, but it wasn't easy either! And lots of joinery, little parts that had to fit together precisely - but it was worth it.

I finished it old school - fuming the finished product in a 5 gal bucket with ammonia in the bottom, and the clock shell hanging in the fumes from the top. Oddly, the pieces of the clock board, it's top and bottom, and the center bar of the grill work were all of a piece that didn't darken like the rest of the wood. I had NO idea it was going to be like that, but the results were awesome. I finished with two coats of shellac (first project I've ever shellacked), topped with a coating of Johnson's Wax. Like I said - Old School.

This'll go with the school desk I'm making for the little one, and I'm still working on a arts & crafts table lamp that will feature a stained glass shade. Yes, I'm making the stained glass too!

Attached Images Attached Images

Love the clock, Patrick. The two-tone Oak just really makes it look special.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Interesting look! Like Cody, I think the difference in color kind of adds something to a small object like that. Might not do the same on a larger piece, however. I have never fumed, but I do understand that it is not predictable as the level of tannin may differ greatly among boards and sapwood has very little tannin.

Nicely done. Those small projects present challenges of their own...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Nicely done Patrick.
    I bet your daughter is proud of the old man....

very nice, i've had my eye on a similar set of plans
    fledgling weekend warrior

Really nice Patrick.. And.. thanks for the tip on the clock inserts you linked for me in your last clock project. I have three inserts coming from that source as they will be Xmas presents to some family members along with a few other small items.

That fuming came out nice and you worked the heart-wood--sapwood very well to get the effect. Good balance in the contrast with deeper and lighter where they would be best to keep the scale balanced.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler