Thread: Storage Cabinet

Storage Cabinet

Since I enjoy looking at everybody's work so much I thought I'd share my latest project. It's the first time I've ever build something like this with the carcass/face frame, panel doors, etc. Figured it'd be a good place to start before building cabinets for by shop which are sorely needed. The 24/32 plywood carcass is dado'd together. The face frame is dado'd into the carcass as I felt this would make it stronger when moving it around. This meant that there was small pcs that where easy to chip out in several strategic places, which they did and I had to glue filler pcs in. The face frame is cut down from 2x6 pine from HD. The middle styles (I think that's what they are called) are mortise and tenoned in and I could have made them fit a bit tighter. And I guess if I would have made the top smaller than the bottom it would have looked better. I'm going to prime and paint it. The picture with the table saw in the foreground is where I was building the doors and took a break
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ken

those are perfect cabinets for garage and shop storage!

Looks to me like you have a big jump on the storage issue! That is a lot of space, and a good build.

Thanks, Before this project I never used a planer or jointer
    ken

Hey.... watch it neighbor! I don't need you making me look bad down the street in Winston. Ain't right to make an old man look bad!

You did an excellent job on that storage cabinet Ken. Very smart on your part to log some shop time gaining experience doing a project as such. It will pay dividends in the near future when you get that shop complete and she starts demanding an item or two retribution for those new tools she allowed.

Keep cranking em out down on that end of town and you obviously learned a few things about the jointer and planer on this build... not to mention the M & T's... BTW.. on those a good tip is to keep the M & T tight when the wood has a lot of moisture and loose when it is dry.

Regards from up the road a piece...
    Last edited by John Thompson; 11-23-2009 at 3:52 PM.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks John - I've seen your work and I don't think you have much to worry about

I'm looking at getting a new shop vac because the one I have has an odd size fitting that I can't find fittings for and it's a bit small. The jointer wants to clog so I figure a vac will help. And the planer really kicks out the chips... What ia a good brand that should have a more universal fitting?
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    Thanks John - I've seen your work and I don't think you have much to worry about

I'm looking at getting a new shop vac because the one I have has an odd size fitting that I can't find fittings for and it's a bit small. The jointer wants to clog so I figure a vac will help. And the planer really kicks out the chips... What ia a good brand that should have a more universal fitting?
    My personal advice (others may vary) is that a jointer and planer really require a DC in lieu of a Shop Vac. The limitations with the Shop Vac is the fact it only has a 2 1/2" hose meaning you are probably going to have to reduce the machine port "{down} to 2 1/2" and that is a loss that is IMO costly for these two machines.

A DC and cyclone does it's job using a different principle than a Shop Vac. A shop vac is the more efficient IMO for router tables.. ROS's.. etc. It sucks the dust at a central point. The DC works with volume of air flow and is more efficient for large chip producers as the jointer and planer.

A shop vac would be clogged on my 20" planer and 8" jointer (when surface planing with it as edge jointing is not removing as much) in about 30 seconds with the enormous amount of chips and dust thrown at it from those.

You might look for a used DC. I got by for about 6 years with a 1 HP and a direct hook to the machine being used. Not ideal.. but a much better option than the shop vac here. And a 1 1/2 or 2 HP DC should pull anything in your shop so...... just my advice to you!

Good luck and just call me at home if you have additional questions...

Regards...
    Sarge..

Nice job on the shop cabinet Ken.

I say you can't have to much of it.
    When does the next round of shop cabinet making start?

That's a good looking shop cabinet and it also looks familiar...probably since my shop cabs are birch plywood with Pine face frames and hardwood panels in the doors.

As someone else wrote, it not only helps get the shop organized but it also hones the skills needed to produce even finer projects later on.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks Cody & Gary... I think I may start my base cabinets for my shop next. Feel a lot better about now.

John, Is a DC system suited for mobile equipment? I'm going to be stuck shuffling things around for a while looks like...
    ken

Smile Very nice . . .

Very nice cabinet . . . appears to be very solid as well . . .

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking at a Oneida Mini Gorilla. Is is 1 1/2 HP and mobile. Like you, I have everything on wheels . . .

I built a shop cabinet about the same size on wheels. Although, I did not challenge myself as you did with real jointery as you did.

Now, as to the power tools . . . I have a planer jointer combo that still has cosmoline on it . . .

Steve
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 11-23-2009 at 9:10 PM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Great job Ken, I could use about six of those and that's just for the upstairs of our house! From what I have learned it is no easy task to get something that large to line up so nicely.

Thanks Steve & Dean.

I guess cosmoline is what we refer to as fish oil
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    Thanks Cody & Gary... I think I may start my base cabinets for my shop next. Feel a lot better about now.

John, Is a DC system suited for mobile equipment? I'm going to be stuck shuffling things around for a while looks like...
    When you say DC system Ken... you cover some ground. You can have one permanent and with ducting or you can have one mobile as mentioned. If you have all machines mobile as mentioned.. I would put a DC on a mobile base to move it to the mahine for a direct one machine at a time hook-up. That is exactly what I did for several years.

With quick connects.. you can dis-connect from one and be connected to another in under a minute. Not that much trouble.. it shortens the amount of hose used to create more efficiency by less drop in air flow due to shorter run... and it greatly frees up the amount of space in the small shop where machines are not permanently placed.

So... shop mobile is a nice ride just as "air-mobile" was for me in Vietnan. Saddle up.. ride hard and kick hinny!
    Sarge..

Thanks Sarge, mobile it is.

BTW - Thanks for your service in Asia
    ken