Thread: Powermatic PM 2000 with Baldor motor?

Powermatic PM 2000 with Baldor motor?

Is the Baldor motor pm 2000 worth the extra cost or is the standard motor equally as good?
    Last edited by Richard Andersen; 11-19-2009 at 5:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Baldor

Tough to answer as you didn't indicate who makes the other motor or how much the additional cost is.

I will say that Baldor, along with Leeson make very, very good motors. My 1997 model PM-66 came with a 3 HP Baldor that ran like a thoroughbred for nearly 13 years. It still ran like new when I sold the saw.

Very rarely will you hear bad things about these two motor manufacturers who seem to have a well deserved reputation for quality.

That's my .02

Regards,

John

Motor

Baldor motors are worth the extra cost(within reason,did not state the difference)Working for a school district,we use alot of motors and Baldor is replace the least amount.Replace alot of GE's,AO Smith,Magnatech,Marathon motors.---Carroll

If you want to see how much the market awards a premium to Baldor, look at their bench grinders in comparison to the prices of those from other makers. A grinder is not just a motor, of course, but I agree with John and Carroll in never having heard anything bad about their gear.

During the sale I would trade my discount for a Baldor. So I would buy the baldor if the total is comparable to the reg price of a PM2000 without the Baldor.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I just purchased a PM 2000 with Baldor motor from Equipment Sales and Surplus. Current pricing is $2395 and with the 15% off sale total price was $2035. I opted to pick it up at the shipping company's terminal when it arrives to save the residential liftgate fee.

When I talked to them yesterday afternoon they had 16 left and was told 5 had sold that day, so they are going fast. The guy said once inventory gets down to 10 or less they will probably INCREASE thier $2395 web-site price. They have an Ebay site with opening bid price at $2145.00 (they say after you win then you are credited back 15% off whatever the winning bid price is). I tried going the Ebay route yesterday and lost out in the final seconds, the winning bid was $2301 minus 15% that price. With the EBay sale there is a $95 residential liftgate delivery fee added on (not sure if after you win you could call them and get that fee dropped and credited back if you have a way go pick it up at the shipping terminal).
    Last edited by Richard Andersen; 11-25-2009 at 4:42 PM. Reason: spelling

I have a PM66 with a baldor motor, and it is a very good motor. I have a handful of baldor motors in the shop and all are top performers. I think I'd be willing to pay a bit more for a Baldor than a Chen SCHWING-Zee (or what ever flavor of Asian motor they are presently shoving in there) if for no other reason than PM probably installed it in the USA and may have thus looked at the machine before shipping? Come to think of it, I'd probably be willing to pay $100 more for a purchase in that price range if they were willing to open it up, fire it up and CHECK THE DARN THING OUT and then certify that it passes QA in writing!

China is an ancient culture, but their motor industry is not. Not sure the import motor would fail you , but I'm pretty sure the Baldor will not, so for me that's worth a bit more.

its awful hard to wear a Baldor motor out. My PM contractor saw has had the Baldor for 20 years with no issues and plenty of guts but I also wire mine over to 220v.

If you plan to give the saw heavy use, get the baldor. Otherwise, save your money. A normal motor will last a weekend warrior his lifetime.