Hey folks, Anyone here know much about this? I'm enclosing a 8X24 screened porch. I added 3, 5'X6' picture windows, 2 28"X72" picture windows on each end of those, 2 32"X72" double hungs and I'm about to install the new door.

After that I'm would like to tear out the existing exterior wall and create a 7'X 20' opening with 2 4X4 posts for support. The existing wall has a door and 4, 34"X72" windows in it. The roof rafters are 22' 2X6. the header above the existing windows is 2 single piece 2X6's with .5 plywood in between. I want to span 8' between the 2 columns, if possible. Because the roof rafters are also a single piece of lumber it doesn't appear that this is a load bearing wall, just a support wall. The wall the roof rafters rest on is 2 single piece 2X10's, 24' long with .5 ply in between. The existing room is a cathedral ceiling room.

I've had 2 friends look at this. Both, like me, know enough to be dangerous. Both didn't think it was a load bearing wall and both didn't think an 8' span would be a problem. I know that 2, 2X6's should only span 6' on a load bearing wall. How do I figure out if the wall is load bearing or not? Would adding another 2X6 with .5 ply solve the problem? Tearing out the existing header would be a lot of work I would like to avoid, if possible.

Sorry if my construction terms are not quite right. I also understand that it is hard to diagnose over the internet. This is very rural property and it's hard to get anyone to come look at it. I just need some opinions.

Thanks, Mark