Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wall header span and load bearing walls

Thanks again for all the replies. If you look at Jeff's more difficult picture, imagine half way down the roof span there is an interior wall. My house looks like this but the exterior wall was the outside of the screened in porch. The interior wall was the exterior of the house but was really an interior wall, if that makes sense.

I was wrong in my estimation of roof beam lengths. It is 15' from the peak of the cathedral ceiling to the exterior wall using a floor measurement. The roof is a 23 degree angle. I'm guessing the roof 2X6 studs are about 17', without doing the math.

I have pictures but I'm having trouble resizing them to post. I'll try tomorrow on a different network and see if that helps.
    Last edited by mark kosse; 11-29-2009 at 10:42 PM.

see if these pics help

Here is a pic of the den showing the main beam at the top of the cathedral ceiling, the wall above the existing windows, the header above the new windows and the roof studs going over the existing wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark,

Send me an email so we can talk on the phone. I have some questions so I'm sure I understand what you are doing.

dougcarpenterbuilder@windstream.net

Thanks, Doug

Whew was I wrong! I hadn't taken all the osb off beacuse I didn't have all the windows in. When I did I discovered I had a 2X6 header only above the door. Above the windows is a 2X12 header. I still don't believe the wall bears more than a nailing wall load, but a 2X12 should span 8' either way. Do you concur?

TIA, mark

PM sent

Thanks, Doug

It all depends on what loads are on the 2x12. If it has any point load no. If it is holding a simple roof structure spanning less than 30' probably. More recently I never have a header span more than 6' which is not at least 9 1/2" LVL.

Geez, I forgot to add pics.

Thanks Doug! Everyone has been helpfull but I'd like to point out how helpful Doug has been. Talking me through a lot and adding great ideas. Thanks again.

Glen, a roof load only, about 17'.

resize9.jpg

resize 10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    Mark,

I am a remodeling contractor ....
    A contractor named Carpenter - too perfect!
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.