Thread: First furniture project, a plant stand

First furniture project, a plant stand

This is my first "furniture" project out of hardwood and using traditional joinery (everything else was just little boxes). I started tinkering around with woodworking a little over a year ago and after a very intense first 6 months of learning from this and the woodnet forums and and a few podcasts I managed to burn myself out.

Well fall is coming to an end and it was time to bring most of our herbs inside for the winter. (It's impossible to beat fresh Basel, Sage, Oregano, & Rosemary). I decided at least one of the plants this winter would have a proper home and the best way to get back into woodworking was just get into the shop and start something.

This took me about 16-18 hrs total over the course of 2 1/2 weeks. (mostly an hour or so every other night plus a few hours on each day on the weekends). Overall I'm pretty happy with it... There are a few mistake but I learned from all of them and only had to remake one piece.

The design turned out fairly good, in my opinion. The only part I'm critical of is the through tenon on the bottom stretcher extends way further than the top, so it can never be put into a corner, and the balance seems a bit off.

I like the look of the contrasting wood but I'll have to not go too crazy with this contrasting wood thing or our house will end up looking very busy... 1-2 species of wood per room max.

More pictures of building this and a full write up I posted on my blog if you are interested. http://nikbrown.me/content/modern-plant-stand

Welcome to the Creek Nik! You did an excellent job with the build on this piece and the design. I like the chamfered top ends on the legs... dropped top and the contrast on top and a very proportioned side rail in balance with all. I agree with your opinion on the through extending beyond the top. If you had only let it extend 3/8" of an inch or so it would gone un-noticed that it did extend beyond.

But.. this is a first piece and you did an excellent job of both execution of design and build. You get another kudo for picking up on the through extending beyond the top as if it were my first piece in 1972 I wouldn't have had a clue. Not even a remote one at the time.

Very.. very well done!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Welcome to SMC, Nik. That's a neat plant stand and the little details like the chamfered edges really add to it. Good job.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Welcome to the Creek Nik.

Nice work on that first furniture project.
    First of many to come....

My very first project was also a plant stand!

Nice work...and welcome to the 'Creek.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nice job with that first project !
    MARK