Thread: Mesquite HF

Mesquite HF

Here's the "next one" Steve. Mesquite (thanks again Robert) about 9" tall. Still working on "form". That very subtle curvature with no flat spots is remarkably difficult (for me) to achieve. Took a bunch of very light finish passes to finally get there. Again would have liked a slightly smaller base and slightly larger radius from sides to the base.

C. & C. welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard in Wimberley

I guess it would sound self-serving to say, "That is some fabulous wood I gave you" so I won't say it. You certainly are doing it justice though. Great finish on this one, along with the "practice" form.
    Glad I did not go ahead and smoke a brisket with the wood.

very nice, isn't mesquite fun to turn?

Beautiful wood - I can see why it sold right away!

A slightly smaller foot might be more appealing - but have to give you credit for what you have turned! Very nice work! Great finish also!

Congrats on your sale!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Gorgeous... Wonderful finish. I like the shape and the larger foot makes it a bit more practical for displaying something in the vase

Really nice working vase. Like the wood and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Here's the "next one" Steve. Mesquite (thanks again Robert) about 9" tall. Still working on "form". That very subtle curvature with no flat spots is remarkably difficult (for me) to achieve. Took a bunch of very light finish passes to finally get there. Again would have liked a slightly smaller base and slightly larger radius from sides to the base.

C. & C. welcome.
    Richard
    I have to agree with your own critique & Again you've still came up with a nice piece with a great looking finish.
    I know what you mean in those flat spots. I smooth simple looking form is often anything but simple. I have found that by using a piece of small piano wire about 3 ft is a excellent tool to finding those dreaded flat spots.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Robert am SO glad you didn't smoke brisket (or anything else) with that piece of wood. Think I still have one more nice chunk of "thanks again Robert" wood. Joe I like to roll a straight stainless steel rule along the piece. If it won't roll smoothly there is a flat spot. Not quite sure how your wire method works.
    Richard in Wimberley

Well done indeed. Did you save the chips for the BBQ?
    John 3:16

Thanks Paul. I usually have a few very small mesquite pieces for cooking left. Very small pieces.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard!!!!! that looks really nice. I like how you tapered it more towards the bottom this time. Looks very nice. Good work
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Thanks Jarrod. Glad you like it. There are many attractive hf shapes, but a few basic ideas usually apply. Curvatures should be continuous and smooth with no flat spots or abrupt changes. The largest diameter is usually located approximately 1/3 of the total height from the top or bottom of the piece. The "side" is usually radiused into the bottom to give the piece a bit of "lift" from the surface, so that it does not look as though it just "grew out of the surface". There are few if any hard rules in turning, but several proven guidelines that make the work look more attractive to most people.
    Richard in Wimberley