Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom remodel

Bathroom remodel

Some pictures of a bathroom remodel i just finished. I did everything (with help from the wife) but the glass for the shower door and cutting the granite for the seat/counter-top (though I did cut the holes for the sinks/faucets). All of the cabinets are cherry, and i took the old mirror and cut it down to two pieces and framed them in matching cherry. I still have a couple of trim/crown touchups, but am glad it is finally done. It is hard to see, but we moved the door into the bathroom over about a foot so we could make the shower bigger (you can kind of see this is you look at the first and last pictures and notice where the front of the shower is moved out. Now you can actually shower with two people, both stay in warm water, and not bump into each other all of the time.

It wasn't the most challenging in terms of woodworking, just simple cabinets; however, i think i am done with wanting to do any more tile work for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Great job. Your bathroom looks almost identical to ours and what you did is exactly what I want to do to ours. I like how you turned the toilet and moved the shelf. Is one of the walls in the "office" the back of the shelf and is it opened at the top of the shelf? How did you get the tile on the front of the tub? I like that look.

Again, great job!

Great job Alex!
    What are the dimensions of the tub and shower? What is the length of the wall they are on?

Your work looks professional and attractive -

I like your cabinets and the appearance of the whole job - it looks expensive. My only comment is that as good as the big tiles are in your very nice glass shower, you may miss that fiberglass enclosure as grout joints wear over time. Our own master bedroom bath is similar to yours - especially the tub and shower and the only difference in our plans is that we will use a fiberglass shower, with the big tiles.

Nice job on the tiles and cabinets.. looks great!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Joe,
    The shower is about 40"x40", the tub is about 40" deep and 60" long.

Thomas,
    I had a fiberglass pan in there initially, and i didn't like it. I redid another bathroom in the house with the same tile scheme and it has held up great over the last several years. Grout holds up well if done right, but the caulk in the seams between the floors/walls will be where i need to fix things in a few years. One of the solutions to the caulk was to put the bead of caulk in, run your finger over it to push it down, then put a light bead of silicone over that and rub that layer of silicone over the caulk, to give you both the matching color and the better protection of silicone.

We had 3"x3" white tile there previously, and it held up great over 12 years since its install. Done right tile will last, but a shoddy job will cause huge headaches.

Looks good. I am working on mine too. almost ready to put the new tub in and start tiling.

Always use a GOOD waterproof membrane under the mastic/tile. I am going to use the Shlutler-Kerdi? Stuff on the walls with concrete board backer (http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx).
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Dave, I would be careful where you use mastic in your shower job. I used it for the tub wall tiles and the front of the tub, but not for the shower. It used to be common practice to use mastic inside showers, but not so much anymore. If you google 'mastic in shower' you will find a hundred articles advising against using mastic in the shower. Sure, it may make wall tiling easier, but a water based/soluable adhesive in an area that receives a lot of water exposure? Just a bad idea...

The pan liner took me two tries to get it right, because i had problems with the odd shape of the seat in the shower. But on the second try I got it sealed up good and leak tested it for a couple of days before I moved on and put the deck mud over the liner.

Nice job.

How wide is your vanity cabinet?
    Tony

If at first you don't succeed,
    you shouldn't try skydiving.

Great job, now take some time to enjoy it!

Nice job Alex.

Dave,

Kirdi is a great product. I use it for all the custom tile showers we build for customers. You definetly want to use mortar for setting tile to it and in all location where water is present.

The kirdi styro foam pan is nice to use as well. You just have to be gentle when working on it because it dents easily. The kirdi drain is awsome too. It is square so it is alot easier to install tile around it.

Tony, I want to say the vanity was about 72". The original was 76", but left about 3 inches between it and the tub, an awkward space to clean and maintain, so i bumped the vanity back about 4" to give a little more room between it and the tub. I did however make the granite top about 2" longer on the right side to give some countertop space on the right side of the sink.

I also bumped the vanity height from 31" to about 35". Being a master bathroom not intended to be used by kids, and me being 6'4", i hate bending over all the time to wash my hands. And actually with the vessel sinks being even a little higher than the countertop, i find it to be the perfect height.

What is the purpose of the shear curtains over the blinds? Is there a better solution?

I have blinds like yours in my bathroom and find them to be difficult to clean and somewhat boring and fussy. Just looking for different ideas. I've considered larger wooden slats for the blinds.

BTW your old shower, tub and tile are exactly like mine. The only one who uses the tub is the dog.
    Last edited by Ron Carlton; 02-02-2010 at 4:06 PM.
    Ron Carlton
    Dallas, TX

The window treatments are there because the wife and my mother made them and she decided to are reuse them. Really no purpose other than decoration.

Alex,

Sorry, I meant Unmodified Thinset that is recommended by Kerdi not mastic.

Dave
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY