Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Thinline Telecaster

More Pics 12-19-09

I put the final detailing on the body and got it ready for finish. I hope to start spraying tomorrow...if I can decide what color to go with. In blocking out the top, I opened up a couple of mineral streak around the vent that I think keeps me from going with the vintage amber I had initially decided on.

If I'm crazy, just tell me, but I'm thinking trans black. Trans red is a close, almost in a tie, second place.

Last step, I took a piece of 220 and just ever so slightly eased all of the 90 degree edges. All around the binding, around the neck posket and PU routes. Finish tends to flow over even hard edges and soften their angle but I didn't want to leave this to chance. I like the eased edge because it offers one more surface to catch and reflect light when it's all done. Plus it's a finished look vs a hard edge.

"Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

More Pics...

One of the advantages of playing the guitar during a dry fit, is deciding on the neck contour. I wasn't happy with the initial carve so I took another pass at it... this time removing another .040" all the way down the neck and using a compound profile from a round C shape at the nut to a flat bottom U shape at the heel. The main transition is around the 12th fret.
    First, I had to determine how much I could remove and still have plenty for the truss rod to act against. Using digital callipers, I decided that .850" was my finished thickness...down from .890" of the original contour.

I used a sanding block with 100 grit to ease into the final thickness. No sense using a rasp or plane here and cutting too deep.

"Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

More Pics...

After reshaping the area at the headstock, I lost a bit of the crisp detail. I've noticed that a crisp edge that casts a clean shadow line makes a big difference in the appearence of this transition.

A little trick to bring some of that back is to block the back of the headstock and create a ledge that puts sharp detail back on the edge of the carve.

The results...

The down side of doing a dry fit and playing the guitar without finish is this...gunk from the strings and my hands. A little steel wool wil fix this. Getting a feel for the guitar and fixing the neck contour before finishing is well worth a little extra work cleaning the fretboard.

More Pics...

All cleaned up and the frets are dressed out.

Body and neck, but for drilling a couple of holes, ready for finishing. Whew!

Peace,
    Mark

Mark, this thing screams out for RED!!! Count me for 10 votes against black!

It looks fantastic, BTW!! Bring on the finish - can't wait!!

Mark Mark, no black man!! Im with John its just gotta be RED!!!! If not red then at least sunburst perhaps? Im partial to that since mine is that color....Nothin bias here!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Red just screams out Work of Art. Black would make me scream What Were You Thinking.
    Use the fence Luke

8. I'd say red with a black sunburst..

Wouldn't want to cover up the grain with black very much. Especially since you went through all that trouble doing the sides.

Hmmm.. Could always do a nice green tint to your finish.. Look like this Gibson then...

Ok Guys, Red it is!

But, you have to admit, this is pretty cool!

Class5TransBlack.jpg

Peace,
    Mark

Black

Black looks good on that guitar and the grain really shows through. The white binding really sets it off too. But, black might look different on yours.

I vote you finish test pieces of your wood in red and black so we can see which color does the grain justice.

Red would look good. So would butterscotch.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Does the dye not penetrate the edging or is there someway to protect it ?

As always looking GREAT !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Hello Mark,

This is my first reply to this post although I've been following it from the start....Fantastic job you've done on this build....Excellent pics and explanations of you technique!

I vote for Tangerine Orange....against the white binding and maple neck....WOW....Think about it!

Or maybe a Tangerine Burst.............YUM!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

14. Mark,
    Truly Inspirational work you are doing here.
    Outstanding craftsmanship & attention to detail throughout the process.
    Thanks for your efforts to share very specific detailed photos & especially the techniques & logical designing thought process as this project developed along the way.
    Your Tele is a VERY COOL Instrument!!!!
    From the vibes I get reading along with you (+10 for being able to hear you play it!!)..the final color wont factor in at all on this baby, Thats just icing on an already SWEEEEEEEEEEEET cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I'm holding my flaming lighter overhead yelling
    MORE MORE MORE
    I'm with you Shep!!!
    Now its off to my shop to put this inspiration to good use

Merry Christmas and A Happy Prosperous New Year To All
    Doug
    Oneida Lake, NY

More Pics 12-20-09

I did some finish prep today starting with whiskering the entire body by wetting it very lightly to raise the grain. Then after it dried, sanding with 320.

Then I finished up the control cover. I to thickness it by hand but it went pretty quickly. I took it a bit thinner than flus know that clear coats would thicken it up a bit.

Then I whiskered it as well.