Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple Thinline Telecaster

Wow, quite the tutorial! I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. Can't wait to see it finished.

KEEP THEM PICS A COMIN' !!!

Amazing !!
    MARK

Mark, lots of work there - both in the guitar project and in the build thread. Thanks, for taking the time to share it with us. Never had an inclination to build a guitar, but you have sure done a great job of breaking down the process.

Though I play a little, I do not have a detailed understanding of the math behind the positioning of the fretboard and bridge. I do understand that positioning is critical, but just how critical is it. Seems that the distance from the last fret to the bridge is "everything." If that is off any at all, would the harmonics of the instrument be compromised?

Sorry for the dumb question, but just trying to understand the complexities here.

I'm holding my flaming lighter overhead yelling
    MORE MORE MORE
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mark, lots of work there - both in the guitar project and in the build thread. Thanks, for taking the time to share it with us. Never had an inclination to build a guitar, but you have sure done a great job of breaking down the process.
    Thanks John. I enjoy keeping a record of my projects and I'm happy to share.

Though I play a little, I do not have a detailed understanding of the math behind the positioning of the fretboard and bridge. I do understand that positioning is critical, but just how critical is it. Seems that the distance from the last fret to the bridge is "everything." If that is off any at all, would the harmonics of the instrument be compromised?
    Not so short explaination: Fretting a vibrating string at exactly half it's distance doubles it's frequency, creating an octave. The scale length of a guitar is the distance from the bearing edge of the nut (tuner end) to the 12th fret x2. This means the critical measurement you referenced is the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge saddle...it must be half the scale length or the guitar will not intonate properly. Fender Teles' and Strats' scale being 25.5", the distance either side of the 12th fret is 12.75". This is the reason the bridges on guitars are either compensated or adjustable. Compensated saddles are fixed and positioned for a certain guage of strings. Adjustable bridges can be set for various heights or string guages and still intonate properly.

The fret position math is fairly simple. Using "The Rule of 18", the scale length is divided by 18, minus the previous offset. (modern calculations are done at 17.817") On the same Fender scale, 25.5/18 places the first fret 1.416" from the nut. Then subtract that amount from 25.5" and divide the difference by 18 and so on for the number of frets you're using.

It's early. I hope this makes sense.

Peace,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Crenshaw; 11-25-2009 at 8:35 AM.

Ted, Michael,

Thanks! I'm happy to share and I hope others will try building a guitar. It's amazing to sit and play an instrument that you built yourself. This is my 4th and it's exciting every step of the way.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    Ok... That just made my "freakin awesome" list... Nice work.. I'll be following this thread for sure to see how it turns out..

#15 detail was my first choice for sure, looking down the thread.

Makes me want to try my hand at guitar building again...
    Hi Scott. Thanks! I hope you'll give it another shot..

Peace,
    Mark

Ben, Mark, Doug,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm off work until Monday, so I plan to get alot more done. I'll update as I make progress.

Peace,
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Mark, thanks for a great ride. Not doing that sort of work myself , watching the process is fascinating. Wonderful craftsmanship.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mark
    Just out of curiousity, does a thinline still sound pretty close to a solid Tele? Or is it a different animal alltogether? I've only ever briefly played a solid Tele but appreciated that noted Tele twang. Do youstill get that with a Thinline? Just curious how close in sound they are.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Mark
    Just out of curiousity, does a thinline still sound pretty close to a solid Tele? Or is it a different animal alltogether? I've only ever briefly played a solid Tele but appreciated that noted Tele twang. Do youstill get that with a Thinline? Just curious how close in sound they are.
    Hi Doug. To be honest, I've never played one. But I would think their sound is classic Tele but with a bit of semi-hollow body tone...more to the Jazz side of things.

Here's a good video where the player uses each pickup position...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKVTB3g1F3o

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Mark, thanks for a great ride. Not doing that sort of work myself , watching the process is fascinating. Wonderful craftsmanship.
    Thanks Glenn. I appreciate the kind words.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crenshaw View Post
    Here's a good video where the player uses each pickup position...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKVTB3g1F3o

Peace,
    Mark
    Sweet. May have to add one of these on my To-Do list. Thanks
    Use the fence Luke

I just went over your tutorial Mark... I have to take a nap now as it wore an old man out just reading and viewing it. Lot of work there in both the build and putting the tutorial in type and picture. I wish I had that much energy anymore.

You're on a roll...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thumbs up

Awesome post Mark!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....