Thread: Unifence Question?

Unifence Question?

I have an older style Unifence and was wondering if this piece would work with it. I like the newer style nuts that parallel the fence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Delta-Saw-30-Uni...ht_1424wt_1167

It looks like the tensioning mechanism is different on the newer style fence body compared to the older one but I am not sure.

Keith, how old is your unifence ? mine is 22 years old and looks just like that one...and note that it is missing the locking handle
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Well, I bought it used so I am not sure. It has the steel rail instead of aluminum and there are little allen screws to parallel the fence instead of those big bolts. The allen's are small and really easy to bump and misalign the fence. Plus I kind of would like to have a back up because I really like my unifence and I guess they don't make them any more.

Keith, I did a quick search and seen some older unifences and it looks like they are the same
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

It will work with the older fences. The locking mechanism from the old fence will work on this fence.
    I have never seen a Unifence with a steel rail. I would like to see a picture of it.
    Does yours look like this?

Unifence Casting

Greetings from NC!
    I purchased a late 70's Unisaw that came with the original Unifence casting broken into 3 pieces. The replacement I ordered from Delta was just as the the one pictured on eBay. The big bolts are actually nylon or Delrin screw assemblies for squaring the fence to the blade. All original parts from the broken Unifence casting fit without a hitch. The only noticeable difference was the new casting was powder coated a lighter grey/gray than the original. I have had my replacement casting installed for more than 10 years and have had no problems with it. I also paid quite a bit more than the eBay price.

Respectfully,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC
    Last edited by Tom Wassack; 11-24-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Ya that's what mine looks like.

Anyone know what's the best source for the locking mechanism, cursor and other hardware to make this a complete module?

I'm using a Uni-T-Fence extrusion with my Unifence system and have an extra Unifence extrusion. It sure would be nice to have another T-square locking module setup to use with this Unifence extrusion for use on the left side of my blade (I have a right-tilting Unisaw).
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 11-26-2009 at 4:04 PM.

If I am being honest with myself I probably was going to do the same thing. Two fences seems ridiculous but I hate to move my fence around a whole bunch.

You can make a cursor out of a thin piece of clear plexi or lexan. Also, a drop of threadloc will keep the set screws from creeping. I put a drop on the threads and then adjust the fence before it "sets". If you don't use too much it's easy to break them loose again if you need to readjust the fence.
    David DeCristoforo