Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Progress ... Need some advice.

I insulated well and covered the walls with OSB. I surface ran conduit for my electrical. I love it as no workshop layout is stable and it makes reconfiguration easy. If you're in Buffalo you will want good insulation over aesthetics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    By the way, be careful and read about foam insulation board or consult your local building department. I seem to recall something about the fire code requiring that foam insulation panels be covered, since most varieties are flammable.
    I am in process of building my shop and I did decided to use spray foam insulation. My county inspector asked for ES report of product (ICC Evaluation Service, report ESR-2600). It is depend what product you are planning to use but generally you will need a thermal barrier of 1/2 inch thick gypsum wallboard or " an equivalent 15-minute thermal barrier complying with". And county inspector decided that 3/4 plywood or 1/2 drywall will be sufficient as a barrier.

Ed.

Is this an attached building (to the house) or a detached building? Is the first floor a garage, or living space? The answers to these questions may dictate what you can put on the walls. Code in your area may require you to use drywall. If so, you could then put wood on top of that, but that would be an added expense. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Another thing to do. Check the structure itself like the rafters, walls, etc.

I reinforced my roof beam and added extra 2x4s in the walls, added joist hangers, etc to make sure it's structually sound.

For overkill I used deck screws for everything so its not coming down anytime soon.

Blog Entries

Smile

Looking at your table saw and the space in general, I would suggect a false column about 4'-3" to the left of the table saw BLADE. This would do several things. It would give you a place to run a single circuit for power to the saw, it would create a space for the dust collection with out a tripping hazard and as I did once, I put a small table around the post (Plywood with a square cut in it cut in half) I also put a place for my wrenches and built a box with slanted dados to house my blades. The reason for the 4'-3" is if you want to run sheet goods through the saw.

The ceiling, in my opinion needs to be insulated and covered. Don't forget to get the foam spacers to put between your roof and the insulation, very important then you can run a duct down the center for heat and air, but the return air has to come from a place outside the shop area so dust will not get into the system and the system may be in a position to be zoned off the one in the house already. As I read in earlier post the light will be brighter if put up against painted wall board. Anytime you can afford to cover electrical wire is a plus. It is hard to clean around and collects dust easy. I would take the time and figure out what you want to accomplish and one other suggestion as I am in the process of doing is making the space a future room. I have my shop designed that when I am gone my wife can move the tools out and put furniture in and rent it out or sell the place with a completed mother in law suite and that adds to todays property greatly. hope this is helpfull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Being taught to be humble has been one of my best gifts-Pete Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Is this an attached building (to the house) or a detached building? Is the first floor a garage, or living space? The answers to these questions may dictate what you can put on the walls. Code in your area may require you to use drywall. If so, you could then put wood on top of that, but that would be an added expense. Jim.

It is a detached garage and the shop is on the second floor.

Pete,

Thanks for that advice. The false column makes a lot of sense.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Paris View Post
    Looking at your table saw and the space in general, I would suggect a false column about 4'-3" to the left of the table saw BLADE. This would do several things. It would give you a place to run a single circuit for power to the saw, it would create a space for the dust collection with out a tripping hazard and as I did once, I put a small table around the post (Plywood with a square cut in it cut in half) I also put a place for my wrenches and built a box with slanted dados to house my blades. The reason for the 4'-3" is if you want to run sheet goods through the saw.

The ceiling, in my opinion needs to be insulated and covered. Don't forget to get the foam spacers to put between your roof and the insulation, very important then you can run a duct down the center for heat and air, but the return air has to come from a place outside the shop area so dust will not get into the system and the system may be in a position to be zoned off the one in the house already. As I read in earlier post the light will be brighter if put up against painted wall board. Anytime you can afford to cover electrical wire is a plus. It is hard to clean around and collects dust easy. I would take the time and figure out what you want to accomplish and one other suggestion as I am in the process of doing is making the space a future room. I have my shop designed that when I am gone my wife can move the tools out and put furniture in and rent it out or sell the place with a completed mother in law suite and that adds to todays property greatly. hope this is helpfull.