Thread: Attention: scam

Attention: scam

I am subscriber for many WW journals. Usually when subscription slip came over mail, my wife asking me if I would like to subscribe and she will handle all paperwork.
    Recently we got a two slips for AWW and WWM from companies located in Nevada - PBA and MBN (Publishers Billing Association and Magazine Billing Network). PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A SCAM.
    I did check over internet - both companies already be known as a scam/fake.

Lesson learn - subscribe only from magazine itself, do not use unknown publisher houses.
    Ed.

To be totally accurate about it, I don't know that it is a "scam" so much as it is a "ripoff". There doesn't seem to be anything out there saying that you WON'T get your magazines if you pay these jerks their inflated prices. but they do charge WAY more than what the magazines themselves charge and reply on the fact that their letters look a lot like a renewal bill so people will think it is official.

It's a scummy practice and we should probably be asking "where did they get my address and how did they know I'm a woodworker?". It is well known that unless you work hard to stop it, magazines sell your subscriber info in mailing lists to all sorts of advertisers and other businesses. So we have to wonder, are the woodworking magazines selling lists of subscribers to these ripoff companies who are in turn trying to trick those same subscribers? I have a feeling that is probably the case.

It is a scam

Josh, these company has nothing to do with WW magazines, please look at "subscription announcement" from American WW - "We do not share our mailing list with these companies, nor do we ever intentionally fill orders from them or authorize them to sell American Woodworker in any way".
    And after speaking with WW magazines customer service - I don't think that I will ever get this subscription to be sent to me!!
    Ed.

I only renew my subscriptions using the inserts that come in the magazine itself.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Pba

PBA called me on the phone the other day wanting to renew my Popular WW subsciption for $23 per year. Wanted my credit card number. I was busy and nearly gave it to them before catching myself and told them to send me an invoice and I'd look it over and compare it to what the magazine itself would charge.

What I hate more than this is the FINAL NOTICES I get from all my WW magazines asking me to renew at discount rates when there is still at least 3 years left on the subsription!!!!! Every one of them do this except FWW.

Very annoying.

Go to "magazinepricesearch.com" to see what you should / could be paying for a subscription, then check magazine's web site. Sometimes, magazines are running a "special" that is hard to beat, but you aren't going to get it unless you ASK! Last renewal of FWW, Taunton was the cheapest, but time before one of the vendors at magazine price search was almost 30% cheaper. You just have to check. It's YOUR MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post

What I hate more than this is the FINAL NOTICES I get from all my WW magazines asking me to renew at discount rates when there is still at least 3 years left on the subsription!!!!! Every one of them do this except FWW.

Very annoying.
    I agree on that one. My wife renewed my brand new subscription when she got the final notice bill. Had 3 years left too. So recently, I got another one and didn't renew. Strange, but my subscription DID end, and I KNOW I have 2 years left. But I'm too annoyed to complain about it. I haven't missed the mag, and won't buy it again.