Thread: No More Lurking, 1st Post, 1st Project Completed

No More Lurking, 1st Post, 1st Project Completed

I've been lurking and learning for the last 4 months as I converted my former equipment maint shop for my defunct business to a WW shop. A WW shop needs a decent workbench so what would be a more appropriate first project than that. Due to my philosophy that bigger is ALWAYS better, I had to make a few compromises during the final assembly. The original plans showed a vise smaller than the 12" monster I installed. As I fitted or attempted to fit the top to the base, I realized why. It doesn't fit! After a few choice thoughts, a 2X4 attached to the vise end of the bench top and chipping out a corner of plywood for the undercarriage of the vise, I was able to put it together. This was supposed to be a weekend workbench project. He must have had a very long weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

welcome to the creek Frank, that looks like a very nice workbench..and nice first project
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Welcome, Frank! Nice bench, and keep in mind that most projects involve a little "fine tuning" to bring them together!

I found out the same thing about time. when your new to wood working there are no weekend projects. the tools do most of the work but we have to do a lot of thinking. I, for one, ain't so good at that part.

Welcome to wood working and the creek. Nice job

Welcome to the Creek Frank.

Nice work bench.
    The place all your next projects will start....

Welcome to the Creek Frank. That is a good looking bench. My projects always take longer than I think.

Sam

Well, its officially finished. When I took the picture yesterday I was short 2 #12 wood screws. Seems like some moron at HD picked up #12 metal screws, realized his mistake, got the correct ones and put the metal screws on the wood screw peg. Do you know there is absolutely nothing open on TGiving and 7-11 doesn't carry wood screws?

Welcome to SMC, Frank. Nice bench and it should yield lots of projects. Glad to have you here.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Welcome to SMC, Frank.

I was short 2 #12 wood screws
    I would have tried to find something that could have 'donated' a couple screws. You know, like a jig....or a a scrap from another project...or a piece of furniture no one sits on....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Sturdy and functional.. great job! And welcome!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Welcome to SMC, Frank.

I would have tried to find something that could have 'donated' a couple screws. You know, like a jig....or a a scrap from another project...or a piece of furniture no one sits on....
    That crossed my mind but nothing had 2" screws holding it together. I had my cordless driver in hand on the prowl!