Thread: first chair

first chair

Here is my first rocking chair (first chair of any kind)

There were supposed to be 2 chairs but I accidently pulled the back forward on one of them when I clamped it up. Luckily I hadn't done the other one at the same time so it works great. I didn't use clamps on the second chair.

I learned a lot doing this. The most important thing I learned was about cutting and figuring angles. I didn't have any plans so I had to put a lot of thought into this project. I did have parts of a broken chair to race the runners from. everything else about the chairs was different. The old ones were all round parts and I wanted square and different dimensions also.

I got a lot of needed band saw practice also.
    The seat slats were cut on the band saw (as well as the back slats and arms) I even tried tenons on the band saw for the first time. It worked out pretty good. You can see the unevenness of the surface of the seat slats in the picture because of the semi gloss paint but not so much in person.

I milled all the parts out of pt 2x4's that I let dry for 6 to 8 weeks in back of my shop under cover. My joints were pretty good and wood filler took care of the gaps. gotta love a painted project.

It works great and sits fine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finished up quite nicely!! Doesn't the term "paint grade" have such a musical quality about it!

I like the look, and if it rocks, you got a winner!

That looks great, Keith. Every one is a learning process, and each one will be better than the last.

Congratulations.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thats a nice looking rocker, hope my wife doesnt see this though, one of these is on her "want" list!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Really nice rocker and a good design. I like the country look to it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Very nice Keith. As Cody stated, I like the country look and can see a couple of those in emerald green sitting on my back porch. Chairs are a challenge and I did my first (and probably last) set of 4 three years ago. I have a lot of respect for chair-makers after that encounter.

Once you have the first one done.. the remainder aren't that large of a problem but... the finish is a lesson in patience with slats.. nooks and crannies. I might consider doing a few of those and paint them but the chair-makers are getting my money on the next set of insider's with finish and that's fact.

Again... very nicely done!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler