Thread: New member to the CNC section

Smile New member to the CNC section

As I stated I am new to the CNC section but not new to woodworking, I am an amateur woodworker that enjoys making cabinets, bookcases, boxes etc etc ….. I think the CNC router would take me to the next level of detail. I do not own a CNC router machine but I am looking into my options either build one myself from scratch or kit (there are many kits out there, or I could buy a complete system I know this is more expensive. I think I would like a 48” x 48” unit (I don’t know why) but I try to buy the best I can at the time, I think if I buy a smaller unit I will regret it later.

I have the following questions:

-Is a 48” x 48” too big to start with?
    -Is there anything special I should be looking for, example type of guild rail, type of construction ie. Material?
    -I have a trial version of Vcave Pro and I also hear the is a free version of Mach3 (do I really need Mach3) I understand I depends on what type of work I will be doing but is there better software out there?

I just want to say I am really looking forward to the new direction in my woodworking hobby my be even make an income when I retire (a few more years to go yet)

Regards,
    Mick

You can't really have too big of a machine, as long as it fits in your shop. A 4' x 8' machine can do the same things a 12" x 12" machine can. Being bigger only has advantages, with the exception of costing more.

What to look for? Generally, different price ranges will use different components. The most expensive machine will be welded heavy steel with THK or Hiwin linear rails. Cheaper ones may be aluminum with Bishop Wisecarver Dual V rollers.

The trial of V-Carve Pro can only be used to cut the included sample files, so you really can't use it for anything, other than seeing if you want to buy it. You can use all the other features and learn how to use it, but you won't be able to cut anything you design in it. Is there better software? As you said, it really does depend on what you want to do. For what it does, V Carve Pro is very powerful, and you won't find anything easier to use.

Mach3 is machine control software. If you build you're own machine, you'd want to buy it. The free demo version is limited to 500 lines of g code. If you're using V Carve Pro, two or three letters can be over 500 lines of code. If you buy a machine, it'll either come with mach3, or a different control system. There are several available, with a wide price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick A Martin View Post
    . I think I would like a 48” x 48” unit (I don’t know why) but I try to buy the best I can at the time, I think if I buy a smaller unit I will regret it later.

What do you want to cut, that should pretty much answer your question as to what size machine should be appropriate. I originally wanted a smaller machine, but decided to go 4x8 in the end. Also how much space do you have, remember you need to access all sides of the machine, and have plenty of room to load/unload materials.

I have the following questions:

-Is a 48” x 48” too big to start with?
    I am starting out with a 48"x96", if you feel you need the capacity of a certain machine and you can afford it, go for it.

-Is there anything special I should be looking for, example type of guild rail, type of construction ie. Material?

I would reccomend Joes CNC kit (no affiliation) which alot of people seem to be building. Word is that it is very capable machine from a proven design, and the 48x48 version can be built for about 2 grand.

-I have a trial version of Vcave Pro and I also hear the is a free version of Mach3 (do I really need Mach3) I understand I depends on what type of work I will be doing but is there better software out there?

You need Mach3, or WinCNC etc... to run the machine and execute the g-code you generated with your design software. Mach 3 is the affordable option and it seems like most people are using it.

I just want to say I am really looking forward to the new direction in my woodworking hobby my be even make an income when I retire (a few more years to go yet)

Regards,
    Mick
    You might want to search around the forum a bit if you haven't already. There are quite a few first timers (myself included) who have bought machines lately.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 11-28-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Mick,

If you want to just do a few hobby jobs there are small machines you can buy or build that will satisfy most of the things you think you will want to do.

If you want an income either now or in the near future your best bet is to purchase a commercially manufactured machine. Entry level commercial machines like the CAMaster MC Series start at about $8,495.00 and ShopBot has their Buddy Series machines that are in the same price range. These smaller machines are not cheap models of their larger siblings, they are the real deal and ready to work all day long.

Won't you be disappointed when you want to create some 3D projects that have an eight hour run time and your hobby machine isn't up to the task. It won't take long before you find yourself wishing that you had purchased something better.

Believe me, you need to think about your purchase of a CNC router differently than any of the more traditional woodworking machines. The good ones are money makers and will start producing a profit in no time at all. IMO A hobby woodworker should easily be able to recoup their investment in a $10,000.00 CNC router in under six months if you have marketing skills. I paid for mine in one week, working part time, but I have to tell you that I had a large commercial sign job in hand when I ordered my 48 by 96 ShopBot PRT Alpha. Even now, there are lots of weeks that my part time sign shop makes more money than my full time job

NEVER let anyone lead you to believe that you have to spend six months of your life and learn advanced techniques to make serious money. The truth is that you can be profitable in a week if that is your goal. If I can do it at my age so can anyone else.

Get a business license, insurance and pay your taxes!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-28-2009 at 1:44 PM.

Thank you for all your advise.

I was first looking at a DIY CNC machine which according to all accounts works just fine, and it's a lot cheaper. What I have learned from woodworking is to buy the best machine first time. I have in the past bought a cheap machine then after a while I upgraded to a better machine so now I just go for the best I can within my price range. (not that I have money to throw away). I think I will go with a CAMaster 48" x 48" I do not have room for a full size table in my workshop. It will be awhile before I place my order but at least I now know what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick A Martin View Post
    Thank you for all your advise.

I was first looking at a DIY CNC machine which according to all accounts works just fine, and it's a lot cheaper. What I have learned from woodworking is to buy the best machine first time. I have in the past bought a cheap machine then after a while I upgraded to a better machine so now I just go for the best I can within my price range. (not that I have money to throw away). I think I will go with a CAMaster 48" x 48" I do not have room for a full size table in my workshop. It will be awhile before I place my order but at least I now know what I want.
    Mick if you are ever in my neck of the woods (Utah) I would be happy to show you my CAMaster.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

robert i wanna learn more about the copper stamping!!

i will call you from the car

jim

Robert,

I might take you up on that.

I was thinking about asking if there are any forum member that live in Washington and would be willing to show me what the machine can do etc etc ..... As a newbie I have so many questions and being able to see the machine would help a great deal.

Seeing all the pictures of the finished projects make it look easy, I expect a long learning curve ahead of me and I will be asking many question.