Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CNC Owners - Tools To Consider

Michael,

I own an older model dial caliper and a new digital that is accurate to four digits. Very handy tools when you need them.

got to watch the dial calipers they can get sawdust in them and throw them off. my starrett is ok but my japanese one gets jammed up all the time. I need a dust proof shop proof digital but they cost too much. I have went through several cheap ones in a few years.
    another useful tool is a pen attachment. it's good for drawing on parts to see how things look or to mark parts and such. I use it on one shot jobs to check things out before I cut.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

It seems that two hot items these days are the pen attachments and the vinyl cutter for CNC machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    It seems that two hot items these days are the pen attachments and the vinyl cutter for CNC machines.
    I'm making a pen attachment, but where could I get a vinyl cutter for the cnc, preferably one that rotates and not just a drag knife?
    George

one fellow has done it with his shopbot. he used a rotary axis toolpath if I remember right. of course there is wiring and such involved. way too much work for me when I need ot cut cardboard.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

The caliper is a must to check material thickness. I find there is a big difference in the thickness of 3/4 plywood. Also the komatex and sintra that I cut. also the Z plate is another item you should not do without. I made my super z from the plans on shopbots page and it works great, If you feel that you need a better one then get a piece of aluminum and mill one on your cnc machine.

some additional things I use each and every project, at least until I build a vacuum table.

Good self drilling screws, I like the power pro brand from Ace Hardware. I also keep a sharp countersync within reach of my Shopbot at all times. And of course a cordless drill.

My Bosch Colt laminate trimmer also hangs out by my bot quite frequently these days, with a flush trim bit for cutting out tabs.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 01-02-2010 at 1:43 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

I read in another thread that someone is using a multi-tool to cut tabs. I think I will try it and see how well it works.

I avoid tabs if at all possible. using a downcut but on sheet stock and solid wood if done right the sawdust will hold the pieces in place. I may use them when I can't use the sawdust or when cutting aluminum and such.
    tabs suck it's too easy to tear the surface if you miss one.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

for a vinyl cutter take a look at Widgetworks unlimited web site Russ has a cutter that works very well

Steve,

I use Corian for most of my signs, it is a bit heavier than wood so I generally use tabs. I have considered cutting my DC off on the final pass so it would leave the dust in the cut areas but that is hard to do when your cutting 60 blanks per sheet. Most of the time I can hit the blanks with the palm of my hand and break the tabs clean on the waste side but there are times i have to cut the tabs with a jig saw.

Jerome, I will take a look at Widgetworks. I own a 24" vinyl cutter but you never know when a customer will want something larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    I avoid tabs if at all possible. using a downcut but on sheet stock and solid wood if done right the sawdust will hold the pieces in place. I may use them when I can't use the sawdust or when cutting aluminum and such.
    tabs suck it's too easy to tear the surface if you miss one.
    If you're not careful a downcut can pack the sawdust under the material and lift it off the table.

I also use a set of plotter pens and a vinyl cutter both come in handy. I cut out preprinted signs and check the register with the plotters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I also use a set of plotter pens and a vinyl cutter both come in handy. I cut out preprinted signs and check the register with the plotters.
    Do you use the vinyl cutter on the cnc, if so, how have you set it up?
    George

tools i keep at the CAMaster

there are also pictures of the bits i use

and those i used to use!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 01-15-2010 at 8:05 PM.