Thread: Budget HVLP conversion buy decision

Question Budget HVLP conversion buy decision

I'm shopping for a decent (not great) HVLP conversion gun. I only have about $120 to spend, that's it. I'm looking at the Port Cable PSH2, the Wagoner conversion gun (Amazon or some such place) and a "closeout deal" at Gleempaint a "507" HVLP gravity feed gun was $147 now only $36. I have a Dewalt 4 gal compressor (dual tank hot dog style) and am only going to spray lacquer, shellac or other finish products.

Any recommendations, warnings about "closeouts" or other sources would be appreciated. I've searched the posts here but only found a mish-mash of info.

Basiclly I just want to get started spraying finish for my refinishing projects lined up. Later if I make a few bucks doing it on the side it will have to pay for a better sprayer. Seems like there is no shortage of folks who want something refinished, repaired or both.

I don't think your compressor will handle a conversion HVLP.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

The stats on my compressor: 4.0 CFM delivered @ 90 PSI pump provides rapid recovery

I read reviews of foks who have used a Porter Cable pancake compressor (maybe better CFM and PSI?) with the Wagner and they claimed it worked fine. Still I don't know about the Dewalt. I have refinishing projects and some side jobs I could do but I don't have much cash to spend on tools right now.

Quote Originally Posted by whit richardson View Post
    The stats on my compressor: 4.0 CFM delivered @ 90 PSI pump provides rapid recovery ...
    The PSH2 specs say it needs 3.6CFM @ 60psi, operating pressure is 35psi. The small (4gal) tank capacity means you'll have to plan your spraying sessions but it sounds like it will work OK.

I have an HVLP gravity feed gun that requires about 10cfm. I used it successfully on a compressor that delivered 8cfm at best. By reducing the air pressure at the gun and planning my spraying, I had no problem at all.

EDIT: On further review, PC calls the PSH1 an HVLP gun, the PSH2 and PSH3 are described as "Gravity Feed Detail Gun".
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 11-28-2009 at 8:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

You will not be happy with the gravity feed guns with your compressor. That's what I started with with teh 3hp/4gal PC pancake. I would opt for the Wagner 0276124 conversion pressurized pot gun Gleem sells. Also pick up the high flow air connectors from them which will help you out on your setup. You can also use that gun for pressure pots which help the performance with that size of compressor on large projects.

Thanks Craig and Bill. Fromwhat you say Craig I should look at the Wagner. If I can get a few decent side jobs I could sell the dewalt and upgrade my compressor a little bit to a better Porter Cable model. I've not been happy with the quality of the dewalt.

The other plus of the Wagner is that if I really stuffed the cookie jar and got a turbine system I could still use the gun. Good help guys.

For this woodworker the way the economy is and being committed to getting out of debt for good, tools are last on the priority list. But since I want to keep going I just find other ways to get them paid for.

I have both the standard 1-quart Wagener HPLV conversion gun and the 2-quart remote pot version, both from Gleem, and have been very happy with them.

I will also add that your compressor may work, but you'll not be happy with it long since it's going to have to run constantly to keep air flowing to the gun. A 20-30 gallon compressor is a better low-end solution if you can swing it, even if you have to start with that tiny Dewalt which really was only designed for running tools like small nailers and the like which don't have constant air demands.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for more insight Jim. It does sound like I'm kinda pushing the lower limit with my compressor since I got it for pinning, brad nailing and filling tires. But I really want to try spraying finishes since a good number of my projects or side job requests will require lacquer. sounds like a few folks have bought from Gleempaint so they are standup folks?