Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone. I switch work schedules at the JOB this week, so I go back to Mon - Fri, 8 - 5 and In a way I'm glad. The only reason why I'm NOT glad is because I got back into oncall and they have pulled almost everyone into the M-F, 8-5 schedule. What does all this mean? It means that for the weekends, the oncall person works 52 hours straight without a break. Nuff said..............

No shop time this weekend for me primarily because of work. BUT, this coming weekend, I WILL be in the shop.!! I'm still working on the sewing machine cabinet / refinish, I have a 3 tier shelf to finish for a guy at work and I have a table leg to turn for another local person that has a table with 3 legs and needs another one.

Besides that? I have nothing else to do except for the Guided Circular Saw System's test (GCSS). I'll be starting the test on Festool this week and will do that one as I get time. I'll be doing the testing on the Eurekazone GuideRail setup on 22 & 23 Oct while in Dallas. I will be posting the overall results by the end of this month.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Grrrrrrrr...only about an hour in the shop this weekend. Dr. SWMBO's brother came to visit on Saturday as his wife was at a conference in Phila. As we had to meet her Saturday night for dinner in town (excellent Afgani restarant), that left little free time after errands were run, etc. LOML also wanted to cruise the art show in New Hope on Sunday, so that took a chunk of time. The show was fine, but not all that special...too much "schlock", which was surprising for what was supposed to be a competitive, juried event. And then there was some bush planting under the new bay window. The old yews, which attracted deer and were in the wrong places were pulled out and replaced with some nice Japanese holly bushes. I put the backhoe on the tractor which made removing the old bushes "really easy" while preserving them to FreeCycle. (Someone is picking them up this afternoon) While I had the tractor set up for moving earth, I also got to a job that has been waiting for awhile...moving part of a broken down stone wall and junk bushes to provide access to the back of the shop building and upper lawn for vehicles.

In the shop, I did a little more sanding with the Festool 150/3 on the armoire project components and reconditioned my bench. That was about it. DVD of the week was Mr. Ibrahim.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim. Did I miss the pic of the finished window project? Sheesh...I must be slipping!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Hey Jim. Did I miss the pic of the finished window project? Sheesh...I must be slipping!!!
    I think I posted something of the sorts awhile back...but it's not exactly "finished". We are fighting with Pella about some small things that were not completed. The installer keeps promising, but never shows. It's about to go "up the food chain" with Pellas as well as the BBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I think I posted something of the sorts awhile back...but it's not exactly "finished". We are fighting with Pella about some small things that were not completed. The installer keeps promising, but never shows. It's about to go "up the food chain" with Pellas as well as the BBB.
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that Jim.!!!! I figured that Pella would jump out there and get the issues resolved. I guess since money and jobs are tighter now, it is tougher to have the desire to please each customer.

I wish you the best of luck with Pella and getting your problems fixed.
    Dennis -

Serious shop time this weekend. Started and almost completed the Shaker/Judy(my wife) coffee table. Even did a little organizing in the shop....and bought more lumber.

Pics to follow in the next day or so when I put the final touches on the table.

After getting the wife and daughter to the airport and off to DC in the morning, I stopped at Woodcraft on the way home for some more of that sale on Sorby tools. Picked up a couple of more toys (will post pics later) and tried them out yesterday. Made this 3" x 5" x 3/16" bowl out of sumac. As I mentioned to someone, it sure makes a difference when you have the right tools to do the job. I also picked up a jar of Renaissance wax to try since I have been reading so much about it lately. I sanded the bowl to 600 and used sanding sealer, then buffed with Tripoli and the white and then used the Renaissance wax. Wow what a shine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I spent my long weekend in Minneapolis doing things at my girlfriend's house. Things like planting several new daylilies and hostas and finishing a remodeling job that had been started 15 years ago (by someone else). I installed a shelf and switched track lighting over the sink and trimmed out a double window and two doors. It felt really good to complete this for her. All that is left to do is to replace the floor with ceramic tile sometime on the future.

I also did some computer geek stuff for her.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Got into the new house this weekend. Gutted the fixtures in the bathroom...new toliet, pedestal sink, fan/light. All of it is plumbed and working properly. By the way, anyone know anything about the services/process our there that will refinish a tub in place? I think one is called "Bathfitters" or something. At any rate, is it expensive, do they do a nice job? Any info. is helpful.

Started removing wallpaper in kitchen.....took out some awful built-ins in the dining room.....first removed the stuffed pair of pheasants(the former owner was a taxidermist) and shipped them to a friend back in Cincinnati(heeheehee-his wife will HATE it!)......pulled out carpet.......took down a dog kennel.......stood in my new shop and drooled........can't wait to start in there!

Have a great week!

Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

For me, it was remodeling. My house had picture windows in the living room and dining room -- 25'x7' of single-glazed aluminum-framed windows facing north. You could practically hear the BTUs rushing out in the winter. On a three-day weekend, I removed the exterior sheathing, demolished the windows, reframed the walls so that the windows are now only 5' tall, reframed one window opening to turn it into a patio door, installed new windows and door, installed new sheathing, and hauled all the construction debris to the dump. The old glass alone weighed 250 pounds. I'm pooped.

Got about 8 hours of shop time in this weekend. I cut almost all of the parts for the blanket chest I am making and got a few freedom pens done.

Done a little woodworking Got 20 more FPP pens done made another game call spent the rest of the weekend resting
    Jim

My wife was out of town all weekend for work, so I had full attention focus on my son. Took him to see Shark Tales on Saturday. Yard work and chores the rest of the day. Sunday was spent vegging and playing.

Also created some color test samples for the chait client, but have not hooked up for approval. So project is stalled until client approval.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

14. Dick, that sure is some rich looking wood and a wonderful finish on your bowl. The depth of the grain is outstanding. Sumac, huh? Hopefully not the poison variety. You're only supposed to use the poisonous variety for spoons for your mother-in-law...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I looked for my pink erased and found 514 pencils!!!!!!

In between I did actually assemble a few small keepsake boxes and discovered the benefits of "New Skin" after scraping my knuckles on my machine vise. - OUCH!
    Betsy