Thread: which square set?

which square set?

I'm looking at asking santa for a set of precision engineer/machinist squares for tool set-up, etc. Rockler has a 3 pc GROZ set (item 27237) on sale for $30 and free shipping. Woodcraft appears to have the same GROZ squares except in a 4 pc set (item 148042) for $45 with the $10 promo discount and free shipping. Not sure which is a better value. The Rockler kit set sizes are 2", 4", 6". For $15 Woodcraft adds a 3" square. I guess I need to know which sizes are the most commonly used for tool set-up and general shop use, if a 3" square is not going to have much use then the Rockler set would be a better deal.

Thanks

I bought a precision set of squares that cost me $50 from heartwellvile tools (something like that) My neighbor told me how to test the squares for accuracy. They really weren't very accurate. Each one in the set was off about a degree. I then bought a swanson square at lowes. Turned out it was far better.

I'm just saying. Try it out as soon as you get it and if you need to return it then do so. Just because it says precision and costs more doesn't mean its precise.

I just figured out one of my matching cope and stick bits don't match. All this time I thought it was just me.

Isn't Groz stuffmade in India?

Yep, Groz is made in India. Some of their stuff isn't bad. I got a set of 3 of their squares for Christmas in 2003 from my then soon to be wife. The squares have held up well, and the marriage even better.

Are they Sterret's? No. Will the work for you? Yes.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 11-30-2009 at 9:14 AM.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Andersen View Post
    I guess I need to know which sizes are the most commonly used for tool set-up and general shop use, if a 3" square is not going to have much use then the Rockler set would be a better deal.

Thanks
    I have the Incra precision 5" and 7" squares. I also have a Woodpecker 12" precision square. I find I am reaching for the 12" most. The small would work great for small inside corners like boxes but I don't do much like that. I use the 7" or 12" for machine setup.

I have the Brown & Sharpe four square set (2,3,4,+6") from The Best Things. $69.00, and I couldn't be happier. First thing I did was slap a piece of paper on a surface plate and checked 'em. I can't discern any error. The 3 and 4 inch get the most use.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 11-29-2009 at 11:24 PM.

For what it's worth, I've been very satisfied with my Groz. They're precise enough to do anything you'd ever want to do, but they're cheap enough that you can use them everyday and not cry too much if one accidentally gets totally messed up. I think they sort of hit the sweet spot for wood working machinist squares.

Thanks for the replies. So what sizes of these squares are most used for tool set-up and general shop use?? Would the 3 pc Rockler set (2,"4",6") cover everything or would it be better to pay more and get the 4pc set (2",3",4",6") from Woodcraft?

If enough is good, more must be better.....

I got the Groz set from W/C a while ago. I tested the squares against each other, both ways, and they all seemed fine. They cannot all be off the same amount......
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 11-30-2009 at 3:40 PM. Reason: typo

I have the 3 piece Groz set from Rockler, along with the 24" Groz straight edge and I have no complaints from either. I have used the 2" for checking square on the miter saw, and use the 6" mostly, haven't had a need for a 3" yet.
    Even my precision machinist friend was impressed, although he says he could make more accurate ones, if he wasn't laid off!!!