Thread: Anybody Checked Out Woodworking Magazine?

Question Anybody Checked Out Woodworking Magazine?

I bought the second issue -- Autumn 2004 -- and like it okay. The main thing I like about it is that it has no advertisements whatsoever, which is rather refreshing.

Issue #2 has the best article I've seen on sharpening. It really took a lot of the mystique out of it for me. Thanks largely to that article I now have two hand planes -- the others are still in process -- which produce light, fluffy shavings that you can easily see light through and which you can almost read a newspaper through. And no, these are not $30-$40 Hock blades in $300-$400 LN planes -- these are standard blades in $20-$30 (including shipping) ebay Stanleys.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/

For anybody who's interested, I've pasted in the tables of contents from the first two issues.

Issue #1 TOC
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Almost-perfect 6" Rulers</FONT>
    by David Thiel
    Page number: 25; Article length: 1 page

We tested a handful of 6" steel rulers and discover that we like - but don't love - only two of them. See which ones we recommend, and which ones (there are eight) we don't recommend at all.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Back Cover - Screws</FONT>
    Article length: 1 page

This special full-color poster provides everything you could ever need to know about screws - the different head types, thread types, sizes, parts and some common screw applications.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Cut Accurate and Clean Rabbets</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz
    Page number: 8; Article length: 4 pp.

After trying every method we could imagine, we've found two ways that are our favorites. Here we'll show you all the step-by-step instructions to cut this essential case joint both ways - one is with a stack dado set on your table saw; the other involves featherboards and two easy maneuvers.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>End Grain - Bad Treehouses & Good Medicine</FONT>
    by Gary George
    Page number: 32; Article length: 1 page

With fond memories from his own childhood, a father thinks back on the time he tried to build a treehouse with his own son.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Glossary</FONT>
    Page number: 29; Article length: 1 page

Woodworking can be overwhelming at first. So we've taken it upon ourselves to help you understand the terminology. More than 30 terms that are used in this issue are defined here (as well as in the Interactive Glossary on the web site).

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Hanging Tool Cabinet</FONT>
    by Kara Gebhart
    Page number: 26; Article length: 3 pp.

You can use the same techniques you used with the "Shaker Hanging Cabinet" to build this simple, wall-mounted tool cabinet. With illustrations and photos.
    Plus: "Storing Your Tools" is filled with clever tool-storage tips and tricks.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Letters</FONT>
    Page number: 2; Article length: 3 pp.

Three full pages of questions and comments from readers, along with some wisdom from woodworking experts and our talented staff of craftsmen.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Making Stub-tenon Doors</FONT>
    by Steve Shanesy
    Page number: 12; Article length: 4 pp.

A stub tenon is a great joint for small doors. We show you two great ways to make it - with a router or with a table saw.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>On the Level - Listen to your Lumber</FONT>
    by Steve Shanesy
    Page number: 1; Article length: 1 page

Your wood shouts, whispers and murmurs. Editor & Publisher Steve Shanesy says the careful craftsman understands what all these noises mean.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Shaker Hanging Cabinet</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz
    Page number: 16; Article length: 9 pp.

The main project of this issue, this cabinet is a great lesson in rabbet joinery, wood selection, wood movement and fitting a door. Includes cutting list, illustrations and photos.
    Plus: "A Better Hinge" helps you pick a hinge that is easy to install. "Smart Ways to Hang Cabinets" teaches you how to hang your cabinet. "Shelf Support Basics" shows you the best hardware for adjustable shelves.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Shortcuts</FONT>
    Page number: 5; Article length: 3 pp.

Three full pages containing 16 tricks and tips that will make your woodworking simpler and more accurate. Plus information on how you can get your tricks printed (and what we'll give you if we select yours!)

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Understanding Wipe-on Finishes</FONT>
    by Steve Shanesy
    Page number: 30; Article length: 2 pp.

The simplest finish is a wipe-on finish. But wipe-on finishes can be either durable or worthless, depending on what's really in the can. We clear up all the confusion.
    Plus: "A Finishing Experiment" has us testing six popular brands of varnish to find the best.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Issue #1 TOC

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Bevel-edge Chisels</FONT>
    by Kara Gebhart
    Page number: 15; Article length: 1 page

We put five common chisels through a series of tests. Three of the tools are OK. Two we simply cannot recommend.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Brushing Lacquer</FONT>
    by Steve Shanesy
    Page number: 30; Article length: 2 pp.

Lacquer dries fast, is forgiving and creates a beautiful topcoat. Find out how to get all the benefits without spending a fortune buying fancy spray equipment.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Drawer Primer: Sliding-lid Box</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz & Kara Gebhart
    Page number: 28; Article length: 2 pp.

Cut every single joint for a drawer with one simple setup on your table saw.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>End Grain: Lyptus</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz
    Page number: 32; Article length: 1 page

This new hybrid wood was bred in Bazil to compete with cherry and mahogany. Is it worth working? Check out our results.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Gluing Up Flat Panels</FONT>
    by David Thiel
    Page number: 22; Article length: 2 pp.

Most projects have at least one panel. Stop the slippery, sliding madness and learn the best way to create flat ones perfectly, every time.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Letters</FONT>
    Page number: 2; Article length: 2 pp.

Two full pages of questions and comments from readers, along with some wisdom from woodworking experts and our talented staff of craftsmen.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Mortises & Tenons for Tables</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz
    Page number: 6; Article length: 5 pp.

This strong and so-called "advanced" joint is just a clever combination of rabbets and grooves. We show you how to cut mortises and tenons with one tool, one bit and no jigs.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>On the Level – The Process is the Prize</FONT>
    by Steve Shanesy
    Page number: 1; Article length: 1 page

The joy of woodworking actually has little to do with the act of working wood.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Sharpen a Chisel</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz
    Page number: 11; Article length: 4 pp.

The secret to sharpening is making every stroke count. Focus less on rubbing the tool on a stone and more on observing your results.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Shortcuts</FONT>
    Page number: 4; Article length: 2 pp.

Two full pages containing 10 tricks and tips that will make your woodworking simpler and more accurate. Plus information on how you can get your tricks printed (and what we'll give you if we select yours)!

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Simple & Fast Rabbeted Drawers</FONT>
    by David Thiel
    Page number: 24; Article length: 4 pp.

Cut every single joint for a drawer with one simple setup on your table saw.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=530 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Simple Shaker End Table</FONT>
    by Christopher Schwarz
    Page number: 16; Article length: 6 pp.

Good woodworking is the product of the right joinery and the right design. This table teaches the fundamentals of both.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

I also picked up Issue 2 of this publication. I bought Issue 1 when it first came out and was impressed with the no advertising angle. There were some nice informative articles without all the gloss found in some publications. This is one of the only publications I am currently considering subscribing to.

I THINK I tried to buy it, but I'm not sure. If memory serves, they have no subscriptions. Where'd you find it?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    I THINK I tried to buy it, but I'm not sure. If memory serves, they have no subscriptions. Where'd you find it?
    Jack
    I picked it up at my local Lowes.

They do take subscriptions, but right now they don't take them online. They include a subscription card in the magazine.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.