Thread: Hardwood stair treads.....

Hardwood stair treads.....

Need to finish the stairs to the basement shortly. Currently they are 2x's nailed to the stringers.

I was going to finish in hardwood since we had carpet on our stairs where I grew up and sweeping them was a pain.

My wife says carpet because hardwood would be slick if going up or down in sock feet.

What is everyones opinion or experiences. Are hardwood treads slick in sock feet?

Yes, hardwood is slick in socks, but you can buy adhesive-backed stair tread tape that would solve that problem.

I'm shortly going to be building a ladder for a loft bed, which is admittedly a different application, but I will be putting multiple small dadoes in the top of the stair (running across it sideways) for a little extra grip. You could try a similar idea for your stairs, but the tiny grooves wouldn't mesh with your 'easy to sweep' goal.

josh
    >witty woodworking quote goes here<

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    What is everyones opinion or experiences. Are hardwood treads slick in sock feet?
    Mine are stained oak and I don't have a problem with them being slick.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

i finish floors with waterlox satin, and can confirm that it is in fact not too slick for stairs.

once cured it has just the right amount of sock grip .

I would never consider leaving them just bare hardwood. I had a set made of oak in a house I owned and slipped on them wearing socks. Cracked my head pretty good. Very next day I went out and bought a runner for them. I am finishing my basement as well and want to put hardwood treads in but have already baked a runner into the plan.

+1 on the runner. HW stairs are slick. I slipped a few years ago and had to have shoulder surgery to fix everything.

I know this: if somebody slipped & hurt themselves, the grief you'd be taking from wifezilla could be much greater than that caused by the injury - and could go on for many moons!

8. Carpeted steps are safer, and will also help to keep from tracking dirt up into the house.

9. Food for thought... Play sand and poly? That or very fine glass blasting beads.

Test it out and see if that works out.