Thread: Rabone mortise gauge?

Rabone mortise gauge?

Does anyone know anything about these? I know Rabone is known in the UK for folding rules, etc., but I cannot find anything about marking gauges.

I picked it up at an estate auction. I would not describe it as a "fine" tool, but it seems competent. Any idea what it's worth?

Rabone.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Bump, bump, bump.
    - Dave Ramsey

What is a "FINE" tool , but one that works well?
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

If you want to get philosophical, how well is "well"? That's the sticking point, isn't it? Would you rather have a Craftsman or a Starrett?
    - Dave Ramsey

I have craftsman, starret, stanley as well as old original Eagle brands, and the really good brand Brown and Sharp, they all work well.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Maybe there should be a differentiation betwixt "Fine" and "Showy".

Russ Garcia just posted a few planes. They are definitely "Showy". Without using one, I couldn't say whether they are "Fine". (That said, I wouldn't mind having one at all! Very nice looking planes.) On the other hand, Krenov made "Fine" planes, but they weren't "Showy". Then you have planemakers like Brese and Sauer&Stiener, making planes that definitely hit both marks.

I was under the same impression as to the gauge. Rabone made (makes?) rules, but that is about all I have seen, so I don't really have much to add .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Rabone / Rabone Chesterman made (make?) decent jobbing tools. My Dad had a few, I have them now. An adjustable bevel, a mortice/marking out gauge and a try square if I remember right. The logo on your gauge looks newish (younger than me) you could maybe get a tenner* for it at a car boot sale.

How does it work? That's the question.

*₤10 is about $16 ish.
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 12-26-2009 at 7:08 AM.

That's mainly what I'm after. If it works, it's a good tool, but did I pay too much or did I find the $2.00 Bedrock plane?
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    That's mainly what I'm after. If it works, it's a good tool, but did I pay too much or did I find the $2.00 Bedrock plane?
    I couldn't tell you if you paid too much for it, you don't say how much it cost and truthfully only you can decide that.

But as regards the $2.00 Bedrock, as far as I am aware no. You have bought yourself an honest functional gauge of relatively modern manufacture.