Thread: Grizzly 0691 riving knife question

Grizzly 0691 riving knife question

Hello all,

I thought I would like this riving knife, and only put it on after someone here lectured me ...however I am having difficulty with my stock moving away from the fence when it is in use.

I cut a lot of sheet goods and, like I said, the riving knife is pulling the material away from the fence causing a bad cut. Is there anyway to adjust the knife? I thought it was supposed to be proud of the saw blade on the waste side, but it appears mine may be too much. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

That is the saw I am looking at, maybe I will have to rethink that. Are you using a thin kerf blade, the only negative reveiw I have found on this saw was where someone had trouble cutting their stock with a thin kerf blade that was thinner than the riving knife.

Is your blade a narrow kerf blade? It does sound like it is sticking out too far.

Nick,

I recently purchased the 0690 w/ the riving knife and love it. I've been cutting a lot of sheet goods lately for a cabinet project and haven't noticed any issue while using my plywood/finish blade - 60 tooth, I think, with a full 1/8" kerf. However, when I have used my thin kerf rip blade (3/32" kerf) I've noticed a little bit of movement of the workpiece away from the fence behind the blade. This is more noticable the closer I have the fence to the blade. It doesn't seem to affect my cut quality though.

This may seem like a dumb question, but have you checked your fence and blade alignment? It might be that your fence isn't riding exactly true or your blade has a little tweek in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Hello all,

I thought I would like this riving knife, and only put it on after someone here lectured me ...however I am having difficulty with my stock moving away from the fence when it is in use.

I cut a lot of sheet goods and, like I said, the riving knife is pulling the material away from the fence causing a bad cut. Is there anyway to adjust the knife? I thought it was supposed to be proud of the saw blade on the waste side, but it appears mine may be too much. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Since you just recently put in on, you need to make sure the riving knife in in the correct place. There are shims that you can use to get the knife perfectly in line with your blade. The shims are already there. If the riving knife is not inline with your blade, loosen it and pull it out. Adjust with the shims to get it in the correct place.

Also, make sure your riving knife is not bent. On my new saw it was a little off would cause the stock to do this. A little bend back in place and it was perfect.

I did not think it was supposed to be proud of the blade on either side. I would think it should be adjusted to be totally behind the blade. I would check the instructions for my saw but I am feeling to lazy to go look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wittler View Post
    That is the saw I am looking at, maybe I will have to rethink that. Are you using a thin kerf blade, the only negative reveiw I have found on this saw was where someone had trouble cutting their stock with a thin kerf blade that was thinner than the riving knife.

Thanks for the replies guys, I do not have a thin kerf blade, and I will re-check the alignment. I didnt notice any shims though...

Greg, I wouldn't base your decision on my problem...chances are real high that it is my set up and not the saw. I will get back when I figure out the problem.
    I have been pretty happy with this saw so far.

Nick

I have a Jet saw and I would assume that the Grizzly too has ways to adjust the knife. The riving knife should be no wider than the saw kerf (so I have two, one for thin-, the other for standard-kerf blades), and should be directly behind the blade. Get down and sight along the blade. The riving knife should be "hiding" behind the blade. On mine it could probably be adjusted just a hair, as it's a little bit off-center toward the fence. However, I find that this keeps the stock firmly pressed against the fence behind the blade, so I've never bothered to adjust it further.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Larru View Post
    There are shims that you can use to get the knife perfectly in line with your blade. The shims are already there.

On my GO690 there are adjustment screws for aligning the riving knife.

Page 56 in the owners manual............http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0690_m.pdf

Mine came adjusted perfectly and will work with a 3/32" thin kerf blade and a full kerf blade.

I don't think you want the riving knife proud either way rather perfectly centered with a thin kerf blade installed that way it will work with thick or thin blades anyway that is how I will adjust mine if I need too.

I may be wrong and if I am someone correct me. I don't want anyone to get hurt.

JEFF

Thanks for the replies guys, I do not have a thin kerf blade, and I will re-check the alignment. I didnt notice any shims though...

Greg, I wouldn't base your decision on my problem...chances are real high that it is my set up and not the saw. I will get back when I figure out the problem.
    I have been pretty happy with this saw so far.

Nick

You are right, yours doesn't have any shims. I just looked at your saws setup. I would be willing to bet your knife is bent a little or out of place. Your riving knife should be in line with your blade. It shouldn't be proud on either side, if it is, then it would allow the material to come in contact with the blade on the other side. The purpose of it is to keep the material from touching the back side of the blade and allowing the material to be kicked back toward you. It sounds like yours is pulling the material away from the fence and into the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
    On my GO690 there are adjustment screws for aligning the riving knife.

Page 56 in the owners manual............http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0690_m.pdf

JEFF
    Thanks fellas. I probably should have noticed that... I can't believe how many people claim their saws come perfectly adjusted from the factory. I haven't received a piece of equipment yet that did not require some fine tuning. Here's hoping my luck changes with the Hammer A-31 I ordered due in February!

Really appreciate the feedback.

Nick

Thanks fellas. I probably should have noticed that... I can't believe how many people claim their saws come perfectly adjusted from the factory. I haven't received a piece of equipment yet that did not require some fine tuning. Here's hoping my luck changes with the Hammer A-31 I ordered due in February!

Really appreciate the feedback.

Nick
    Nick,
    Mine was not adjusted correctly from the factory either. But reading the manual it was easy to fix. Note that the manual does not clearly show all the adjustment screws and what they do. But changing them a little it quickly becomes obvious.
    Salem