Thread: Value of Stanley Tool Book

Value of Stanley Tool Book

Hand Tool Collectors,
    I have a copy of
    Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity & Value (Paperback)

with a publishing date 1996. It was quite expensive when I bought it a few years ago. Somehow the idea of collecting old tools appealed to me at the time. I am thinking of selling it. Does anyone have a thought on the demand for this book.
    fmr
    Last edited by Faust M. Ruggiero; 11-30-2009 at 7:45 PM. Reason: I goofed !!

Barnes and Noble has a used paperback for $2234.00.
    I've seen them for similar prices.

Hi -

I've seen them go regularly for $150-$250....

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    I feel lucky that I paid less than $120 for my copy.

I feel lucky that by chance I found it listed here on the Creek.

If I could afford to, I would offer you $120 for your copy.

If you look at ebay completed listings, you will see the second edition is selling in the $190 plus range. Must be the Christmas present of the year for old tool folks.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can get considerably more for a copy in nice condition at one of the major tool auctions like Martin J. Donnely or one of the Fine Tool Journal auctions than you can on e-bay. Generally, the going price at one of these auctions for the 2nd edition of this book is about $500 in near-new condition, to a low of about $250 for one that's been well-read.

I just checked Amazon and they have 12 copies ranging in price from $295. to $2,400.

Wow!........$2400?

Say Jim ..... any chance we could renegotiate the deal for that book?

That was the first book LOML ordered from Amazon back in 97-98. ~$30 for my second edition hardcover when it was new. Probably the best investment either of us have made. Still in great shape w/intact dustcover. Of course it has it share of drool drops here and there.

Not for sale.

-kg

I got really lucky last year and picked one up for $30. Not mint condition, but the price was right.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I got mine from LV for xmas a few years ago not sure on the price,less than $50 Can. I think.If I had only known, should have bought 10!Mines got some greasy fingerprints and folded over corners. Been well read and gets looked at regularly.

Blog Entries
    Say Jim ..... any chance we could renegotiate the deal for that book?
    Too late, I have penciled in all kinds of notes here and there and the cover is a little bit wrinkled.

I got really lucky last year and picked one up for $30. Not mint condition, but the price was right.
    Even with one copy in hand, I would jump on that deal and have two copies not for sale.

I got mine from LV for xmas a few years ago not sure on the price,less than $50 Can. I think.If I had only known, should have bought 10!Mines got some greasy fingerprints and folded over corners. Been well read and gets looked at regularly.
    Well, if I could I would. I think at about three copies, I might send one to my brother. After that, I might consider selling one, lets see, one in the shop, one in the library, one at the bedside, oops almost forgot the room of restful reading.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)