Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Cabinets

Shop Cabinets

I'm doing some cabinets for my basement shop and thought I'd post some pics for comments & feedback as these are the first I've ever built. To this point my only apparent error was my first prototype drawer was too wide and I know exactly what my mistake was.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Higginbotham; 11-30-2009 at 9:15 PM.
    ken

On the 3rd picture it looks like you are using the fence for the length cut. You may want to use a "stop block" on the fence to set the length, and then as you slide the miter gauge forward, your cut stock will slide off of the stop block, and will not be pinched against the fence during the cut.

May as well get in the habit now

of setting the bottom panel flush with the top of the lower horizontal faceframe rail. Yeah, I know it has little impact on a bank of drawers but on an open cabinet, a recessed bottom is not the format you will wish to adopt.

Ed
    Come on in friend, here's what you'll find
    A well used shop where you can rest your mind
    The beer's cold and the wood is dry
    We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high

Thanks Keith. I see where it looks that way but I think the fence just happened to be real close, in which case I guess I still should have moved it back a bit.

Bottom panel flush to the face frame rail - Good catch, thanks.
    ken

No comments as it appears you are well on your way as they are looking good to me. How bout keeping the machine noise down over that way... would ya neighbor?
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I know my shop has a very uneven, concrete floor. It seems to make sense to cut the relief in the cabinet sides for better footing like you have. How large should the "feet" be to carry all the weight the cabinet will encounter (they are only 3/4" plywood)?
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 12-02-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Will do Sarge

I made them 4" (I think). Your idea about the floor being uneven was one reason. The other reason being they will be going in the basement next to an outside wall and I wanted to be able to do termite treatment from the underside as well as just keep the area well vented to prevent mold etc. Not sure all of this makes goods sense but it seemed a good idea to me....
    ken

Hey Ken,
    Tell John if he was a GOOD neighbor, he would come over and help...

I mean, if I was to hear woodworking tools going, I would rush over and investigate!
    Dan Manning

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Manning View Post
    Hey Ken,
    Tell John if he was a GOOD neighbor, he would come over and help...

I mean, if I was to hear woodworking tools going, I would rush over and investigate!
    We've been planning to have a summit. I'd rather see his shop than the other way around...
    ken

Slowly making progress on the cabinets. Tinkering with the drawers. Built a couple start to finish to figure out the best way to build them. Tonight I decided to cut enough up to finish the remaining. Maybe this weekend I'll have 'em done.
    ken

Looking good Ken, heck those are good enough for the home!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Ken, those cabinets are very nice for your first set! I'll bet your shop will be impressive with those installed.

Thanks - I don't regret doing the face frame type but it looks like I could have had half again as many drawers and storage space if I had of gone with frameless.
    ken

Finished cabinets:
    ken

I think you should scrap them. They are all wrong and not suitable for a shop. I'll come and get rid of them for you.