Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JML1014VSI vs JML1220

Jet JML1014VSI vs JML1220

I hear a lot of good reviews about the Jet mini/midi lathes.
    I notice prices are about the same for the 10" Variable speed model as the 12" six-speed model.

Is the infinitely adjustable speed THAT big a deal?

Also, the lowest speed on both of these is about 500RPM. I imagine it's less of an issue on the smaller machine, but should I be concerned?

Anyone use these?
    -shawn

Jet vs Jet

Shawn, I have never used either one of these, but, 500 rpm is entirely too fast if you plan to turn out of balance ir out of round blanks. The new Delta Midi 46 something or other is ideal as an all around lathe. It goes down to 225rpm for unbalanced blanks. It also goes up to 4000 rpm's. three belt positions with variable speed between settings. I have one and, oh, is it a sweet machine. Around 500 on sale or ck. with Toolnut.You wont be sorry, Max.

I have a 1220vs and I can tell you that now that I have the variable speed feature there's no way I'd buy another lathe without it. It gives you so much versatility, especially at the low speed belt setting when sanding. My understanding....Albeit possibly errant...Is that the variable speed machines are capable of lower speeds given the same belt setting due to the variable speed feature giving you a range of speeds within the same belt setting.

A lot of people will tell you that you don't need variable speed and you honestly don't. But it is one heck of a nice option!

Shawn,

I turned on a Jet VS Mini for about 18 months. 500 RPM can be very exciting when you place an out of balance bowl blank on it!

Variable speed definitely is nice to have.

Though I haven't seen the new Delta Harvey talks about, if it has a lower speed , that is a good thing and something to heavily consider unless of course, you enjoy or need a heart rate increasing incident!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

there is a huge difference on the 2 models.. I havent them time right now but will be back later with some info
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

Jet vs Jet

One other thing I dsidnt mention in the other post. It also has reverse. Excellent for sanding those endgrain rough spots. MAX

My first lathe was a 4 speed Atlas. I learned a lot on it for about 2 years, and then stepped up to a PM. The truly variable speed, not the Reeves drive, is some thing that once you have it, you will never want to be without it. Reverse is really handy, and I don't know why the Jet VS does not have it.

robo hippy

I have to agree with previous posts that variable speed is great, but; I would rather have a 1220 than a 1014VS. My opinion is likely biased as I own a 1220 and have a large lathe (with VS) to handle the large or out of balance pieces. If your list includes the new Delta lathe, it is a better lathe.

I just bought my wife the Delta 46-460 and it really is great. She had been using a shopsmith until it tragically died this weekend. The Delta took all of 20 minutes to unpack, assemble and begin turning. It's very quiet, no rattles or vibration and she's lovin it. We've already got bags of curly chips all over the place.

I have had a 1220VS for about 18mos. It is more comparable to the 1236 than the 1014 IMHO. 3/4hp motor with a low speed of 270rpm.(down from 500 on the non-VS model) With the bed extension I can turn about 52".
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Reverse can be added to any of the little Jet lathes. With the variable speed units, you add a switch inside the speed control box. With the non-VS units, the switch has to be connected to the wires inside the motor -- a little more difficult, but still not too scary.

I had the same quandry as you and after trying all the Jet models at an open turning day, went with the non-VS 1220, mostly for the added clearance over the bed. Being able to make 10-11" finished bowls was preferable to me, over having variable speeds but only making 8" finished bowls.

I suspect with wobbly blanks, adding some bags of dry cement on the lower stand frame would be more effective than changing speed. Better yet, take the blank back to the bandsaur to get it more balanced.

-jon-
    Happiness is a shiny new 3520b, and a reversing Jet 1220 for backup.
    Wading into the shavings, waving a fistful of Thompson gouges.
    Too new to be scared, too excited to think twice.

my lathe has a higher lowest speed and i put many out of balance peices on it, but i read somewhere that it is better for the lathe if it is on a bench that can move, like a wooden bench, so that the lathe can move with the wood alittle bit and let the table take some of the strain. not sure how true this is, but it seems to work for my lathe....
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

While I think the Delta 46-460 is the best of both worlds, after using the Jet 1014i and then upgrading to the 1642 with VS, I would say that VS is the way to go if you have the choice, even if it is the 10" swing.

And, and you can see, I'm a Jet fan. I have used the Delta and I think they are currently winning the race.

Shawn,

I've never turned on a 1014. I have a JWL 1220, I have used it for 2 years now. Changing the belt position is no big deal, I understand belts, I don't understand electronics. I think that the additional weight of a 1220 ia a big plus. When I bought mine it was $360 with an additional rebate. Whichever you choose, buy a good chuck. The shiny Grizzly and the Oneway Midi are both good very good values.

I have had alot of fun making fire wood out of fire wood.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Bob

I also have the Jet JWL 1220 VS. I agree once you have it you will probably never go back to belt changing. I do like the Jet because it does go down to 270 rpm and makes it nice. The 1220 will turn 12" verses 10" on the mini.

Now if the Delta had been out (I turned on one) when I bought my 1220 I probably would have bought that lathe simply for the fact it has 1 hp, VS and has reverse. Reverse is really, really nice for sanding. Right now next year I am thinking of selling my Rikon and Jet to get the Delta 46-460. Not sure yet but thinking.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.