Thread: Humidifier

Blog Entries

Humidifier

With the temps now going below freezing, we will start using the fireplace as suplimental heating. With that comes much drier air so we are thinking of getting a humidifier. Any recomendations and what would be the optimum level of humidity? Thanks, Sean

I try to keep my living quarters in the area of 50-60%. I don't like all of the static electric zaps every time I make a move. The zaps started a few days ago. The area where my computers are located is at 20% right now. Time to go to the basement and bring up the humidifier.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Does a portable unit cover a decent amount of area?

I have a portable Venta, made in Germany. It's not very big at all. But it spews so much moisture so thoroughly I often have to turn it down or turn it off. My bedroom, which is pretty large, can get downright swampy when that little humidifier is running for awhile. It also does a good job on my first floor. I try to get to 30%.

In our old house we had forced air heat and an Aprilaire Humidifier built into the duct work. We set it around 50%. Don't know if that's an option for you but it worked well for us.

I would love to have a humidifier attached to my forced air furnace but the iron in my well water and other minerals cause too much damage even though I have a water softener in line. At one time a previous owner had one attached but the damage it did is still visible on some of the duct work.
    I tried the small vapor type humidifier but it coated everything with a white mineral deposit from our well water. I ended up buying bottled water by the gallon and it worked great. I now use the large wick type and it seems to do the job quite well but it does not humidify the whole house, just the general area where it is located.
    David B

Blog Entries
    We have the humidifier built into the heat system but we are trying to use the heat from the fireplace more than the gas heating system. The fireplace will dry the air more than the lesser used heating system will put humidity back in.