Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut and Curly Maple Occasional Table

Walnut and Curly Maple Occasional Table

I previously posted a couple of threads in the Turners forum before and during the turning of the walnut legs - my first turning project on the lathe I purchased 2-3 months ago.

Although the table is not yet complete, I thought I would go ahead and post a few of progress pics. Maybe the need to complete this thread with a finished table will keep me on task!

It is curly maple and walnut, finished to this point with BLO and shellac. The final finish will probably be a few coats of Arm-R-Seal. When I planned this table, I wanted to try my Earlex and spray a Target finish, but winter came on before I got started. My spray booth is a portable setup in an unheated area - or outside, so the conditions are not appropriate.

This is where the table is now -
    9.jpg

The front apron, including the drawer front, is a continous piece of curly maple. The drawer interior will be all walnut, with hand cut dovetails.

This is the suspended shelf - walnut brackets, with curly maple/walnut center section. Fitting the suspension brackets was really tricky as the legs taper, and the facets were done with handplanes. While they approximate 45*, they are not exact by any means!!
    7.jpg

This is a close up of the suspension bracket. This was the first time that I have cut a cove on the table saw.
    8.jpg

This is the top (24 x 36) -
    10.jpg

And, this is a pic of the edge profile of the top -
    11.jpg

As with most all of my projects, this is my design, and it is not really faithful to any particular style . I may even be offensive to some as it combines so many different elements. But, it is what it is.

With the exception that they are smaller and tapered, the table legs duplicate the antique/recycled legs on the hutch/secretary that I built and posted a construction thread on here.

This is the hutch -

This table will be situated in the same room, and only about 8 feet or so from the hutch. Hopefully, the walnut and curly maple in each will be complimentary.

I hope to post some finished pics in a week or two depending on how much shop time I get. Comments and criticism are welcome.

John,

That is a wonderful piece of work!!! Is this your own creation, for personal use? I love it.

Bruce

Nice Work John - Very impressive!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Looks like your going to have another winner here John.
    Can't beat that walnut and figured maple.

When do the chisels and dovetail saw come out to do that drawer...

John, you’re killing me here with all this gorgeous work!
    How do you find the time?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Guys, thanks for the supportive comments!

Bruce V., I don't seem to do well with replication of other work, or using a set of plans for a project. At this point, I don't sell any of my work, so I only have to please my wife and me. Never know what the future holds, and I wouldn't mind building for sale, but I think it would be difficult for me to build someone else's idea. That "rebel thing" probably would be a real detriment.

Bruce P. and Gary, I have seen the work done by both of you and I don't consider myself to be in that league. You are both craftsmen of the highest caliber!

Jim,

Wonderful work ! I really mean that !

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Gosh John, I'm starting to not want to open your project threads (it depresses the average woodworker)!! Please post pics of the finished product, that table is stunning!! The maple and walnut go together very well and the legs are really nice, just like the hutch.

John, great work as usual. I really like the contrast and style of the laminated shelf.

Wow John that is a great design! I realy like it, and of course Walnut and Maple... What a beautiful paire!!

Beautiful.

John,
    Table is beautiful so far. I think it will be an awesome piece when you are finished. The bottom shelf is beautiful with the contrasting woods. Can't wait to see your finished project, especially the front apron with drawer. Good Work!!
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

"As with most all of my projects, this is my design, and it is not really faithful to any particular style . I may even be offensive to some as it combines so many different elements. But, it is what it is.... John K.

Well J.K... I for one am terribly offended that you allow yourself to march to the beat of a different drummer. I find that rather rebellious when you could avoid all risk by following the straight and narrow path already tested by others! ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Love those stretcher brackets... have attempted to run my hand over those smooth coves I see on my computer screen. The walnut and maple is looking good but that is a case you took no risk as the combo is time tested. This piece is shaping up to be a stand alone stand-out and also a winning combination with the hutch.

OK.... I suppose since you have taken this "rebel stand" I could lighten up a bit on the straight and narrow and join you in a big "Yeeeeee-haaaaaa"! So... with that said.... nice job and keep up the rebellious work you got working there "John--ny Reb"! A pint of "Rebel Yell" might aid the task but... don't break the seal until after the shop chores are done for the day!

BTW.. you're not the only one having some fun with this one it appears! Guilty as charged... your Honor!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Fantastic. I really like the use of offsetting woods on the stretchers. Very pleasing to my eye.

The only thing offensive about you is your humility!

Beautiful work...again.

Can you describe how you joined the shelf brackets to the legs?

Nice turnin' on the HF lathe.