Thread: First Time Chair Project

First Time Chair Project

Having spent the past couple of years building a house, doing the kitchen and trim, installing a proper shop and getting it working, it's time to get back into actually making stuff. My first real project in the new shop is a chair. I got the design from Fine Woodworking online and made some small variations. The only one that you can really see is the front legs, which are curved and tapered, instead of straight tapers. This is meant to be a prototype, with the intention to build a dining set. I am thinking of some variations for the final design. For example, a bit of curvature in the back legs from inside to outside. The back pieces are tapered, but not curved. I think it might create a more flowing look. All in all, I think it's an elegant design that feels comfortable to sit in. Comments are welcome, especially suggestions for alterations to the design for the final set. The finish so far is just oil and one coat of shellac, so it will have a more finished look when complete.
    Chair Side.jpg

Chair Back.jpg

Chair Front.jpg
    Thanks for looking
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Nice work Hans! The chair looks great. My hats off to you...chairs are intimidating enough that I've managed to avoid them so far, with the exception of a couple of kiddie chairs.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hans, I admire anyone that undertakes building a chair - let alone a set of them!! Great work, and beautiful wood.

As far as the design, with the camera distortion, it is kind of difficult to get a true feel for the actual amount of curve/flare of some of the components. At least from the pics, I like the amount of flare you have on the legs, and I am not sure more would be good. But, again, I am not sure how accurate my perception is on that. One suggestion would be to put a concave "dip" in the top crossmember of the back (I am not sure of the correct nomenclature here.) That would seem to be in better keeping with the stylistic character of the chair.

There would seem to be a lot of handwork here, as much of what you are doing does not lend itself to jigs, etc. Great work!

Very nice work Hans. I built a set 3 years ago (my first) and know the work that goes into them which I will probably leave to the chair-makers at this point. Yours is nice.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice work...well done
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

As far as the design, with the camera distortion, it is kind of difficult to get a true feel for the actual amount of curve/flare of some of the components. At least from the pics, I like the amount of flare you have on the legs, and I am not sure more would be good. But, again, I am not sure how accurate my perception is on that. One suggestion would be to put a concave "dip" in the top crossmember of the back (I am not sure of the correct nomenclature here.) That would seem to be in better keeping with the stylistic character of the chair.
    Thanks John. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that the top rail (called the "crest rail") would be concave, so the middle would be lower than the outside corners. Interesting concept. I'll need to play with that a bit. The thing I was considering was not to put more curve into the legs, but the top portion of the back leg piece, ie the part between the seat and the crest rail. If it curved outward a bit (say 1/2") I think it might add a bit of grace that's not there presently.

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate all feedback.

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Braul View Post
    Thanks John. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that the top rail (called the "crest rail") would be concave, so the middle would be lower than the outside corners. Interesting concept. I'll need to play with that a bit. The thing I was considering was not to put more curve into the legs, but the top portion of the back leg piece, ie the part between the seat and the crest rail. If it curved outward a bit (say 1/2") I think it might add a bit of grace that's not there presently.

Thanks for your comments - I appreciate all feedback.

Hans
    Correct, Hans. And, with your thought on the outward curve of the upper "back support", together I think those changes would fit in very well with the rest of the chair.

Nice chair!

Hans,

I've been focused on Windsor chairs for the last few years, but I have admiration for those who venture to make fancy chairs as you've done here. I look forward to eventually mastering the complexities of doing more complicated mortise and tenon joinery on federal or queen anne style chairs. I'm impressed by your work and I wish you the best on making a whole set of them.

My next project involves making a couple European style two board chairs, but they are far simplier to make at least by design. Great job!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-03-2009 at 9:16 PM. Reason: Removed link in signature. Prohibited by TOS

Really nice work, Hans!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really like that chair, and if you make the back side posts with an arc like you mention, I think that would just about be perfect.

Nice work.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot