Thread: belsaw planer feed

belsaw planer feed

Hey guys,
    I have a belsaw 910 planer. We have had the thing for about 10 years and used it on and off. It had worn feed rollers and such so I decided it was time for a new feed wheel kit. So I got the new urethane rollers, springs, and brass bushings. I installed it just as the manual stated. I finally got some red oak to plane, and at first it didn't work very well. So, I tightened the spring for more downforce on the bushing. I ended up tightening quite a bit more than the manual suggests and it works pretty good, but about every other board I have to help it by pushing on the board lightly. I would really like to get this thing working a little better. I have the planer completely polished up with paste wax. So I don't believe it's a drag issue. Any ideas? Oh, and on the red oak I was only taking off a 1/16th. The knives are freshly sharpened. And, it's powered by a 5 hp motor.

Hi Lucas, I don't know if your machine has a chip breaker or pressure bar, however I would check the adjustment of those.

The maufacturer will give height specifications for the adjustments........Regards, Rod.

Sorry for the late response. Yes it has a pressure bar/chipbreaker. I had a brand new set of blades sitting on the shelf. It finally occurred to me that I should compare the blades (I'm a little slow). Come to find out the angles were quite a bit different. So I pulled them out so I could really get a look at them. They were a lot duller than I thought they were. While out, I ran some molding. Worked like a dream. So I will replace with the new ones.

I have the operators manual for the Belsaw 910/912 in PDF, if you'll send me a PM with your email I'll send it to you (5 MB).

I haven't gotten around to fine tuning mine, first I need to construct a dust chute (and before that finish my duct work, and before that finish my insulation )
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks Scott,
    I down loaded it off of their website. I didn't look for dull blades because they had recently been sharpened, but they were definitely dull. That was the problem. All seems to be well now.