Thread: Drill bits

Drill bits

I have been using the same tired, some bent, some broken drill bits for a while. I am placing an order with lee valley soon and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a good set to get.

Used in a drill press and hand drill, what type of bi do you guys recommend? Brad-point? Twist?

Thanks

Do You Drill Metal?

If you do, brad points are out, of course. I have a set of 29 fractional bits to 1/2 ", but also have brad points in popular sizes since they are so much better for wood. Another consideration is that twist drills can be sharpened, but I'm at a loss to sharpen a brad point.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Kevin,

Since you are on a ww'ing forum, we would normally recommend bradpoints for clean entries/exists in wood prone to tear-out--especially flatsawn stock.

For all around garage/homeowner use, you can't beat good old twist-drill bits...I have the same bit increments Carl has: 1/8" to 1/2" in 1/64" increments.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I was at the WW show in Fort Wayne this last weekend and picked up
    drill bits and forstner that are guaranteed for life if broken (by Bad Dog Tools from Bristol RI) and sharpen free but have to send them to them and only cost shipping. The demostration was hard to believe. A normal bit would have snapped many times.

While we're talking bits...

I have been eyeballing some of those 115 pc sets. Some are "Titanium" coated, some are "Cobalt" and some are just plain HSS. Which is the best? (They are all imports, BTW)

I have a mish-mash of "utility" bits - HSS, cobalt, and titanium. They all seem to work about the same. The cobalt and titanium supposedly help the bit to run cooler, though I really can't say I've seen much of an improvement. When it comes to "utility" bits I buy fairly cheap stuff, use it, trash it, and replace it. I have stayed away from the 115 piece sets because they are just too big, take up too much room, and have weird sizes I would never use. I typically buy the 29 piece sets.

For woodworking, I have a high quality set of brad points and forstner bits that get used in nothing but wood (and always backed up so as to not damage them). I also have a fairly nice set of spade bits for when I need quick holes without the precision that the forstners give me.

Be well,

Doc

I thought I had all the bits I would ever need (have a 29 bit set), but it seems that I am ALWAYS needing one that I don't have! I then end up hitting my Buddy's 115 pc set and ALWAYS find what I need. I figure I have spent $60 in gas going back and forth to raid his bit case!

I also have a hodge-podge of "sets", though most are no longer complete, except for the Forstners. One set I picked up some time ago, which I really go to a LOT, is the Black & Decker set of "Bullet" bits. Good-sized set, drill pretty straight and stay sharp for a long time.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!