Thread: Oooofff ... SmartMiter mods?

Oooofff ... SmartMiter mods?

I was batch crosscutting some pieces for some drawers this weekend. I wound up with the "train" of cutoffs sitting next to the blade. There was 4 or 5 little pieces of 1/2" BB around 3.5" square. So, I decided it would be prudent to get them out of the way. I guess I didn't pick the best way as I used a larger piece of scrap to push them back and away from the blade.

I guess one piece must've rotated into the blade and caught me right in the gut. Felt like I'd been punched. I've got a nice 3.5"x1/2" red spot on my "abs" with a 1/2" thick purple surround right now.

Anyhow, I'm considering modifying the right side piece of the SmartMiter to include a little removable wedge to push the pieces away from the blade. I've seen a similar thing from Dominic Greco with magnets for use with the miter gauge. It would only be usable for pieces less than 4 or 5" wide, but would allow me to continue without having to shut down the saw every few parts cut. What do you think? Any good design ideas or considerations how to mount it?

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Look at the item on this page: http://www.martin-usa.com/t_aigner.asp called the "Deflector".

Similar idea, but sits on the table. Good opportunity to use rare earth magnets. Must be positioned so it engages the cuttoff at just the right point!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jay,

Do you have the additional piece from Smartmiter on the right of the blade or do your pieces drop onto the saw table?

I just pull to piece on the right forward bringing to drops away from the blade and safely cleared. Clear as mud huh? I can post a pic if you need me to.

To make the piece I'm talking about you needa piece of sheet goods the same thickness as the smart miter attach a runner underneath it for your miter slot.

Leave enough board to the left of the runner that you can push the piece through the blade creating a perfect zero clearance fit.

Hope you understand this. You can also check Smart miter's site for their version.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Uh, Jay...we need a belly pic now....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Uh, Jay...we need a belly pic now....
    The "boo-boo" patrol is alive and well...

Ya know Jim................now that ya mention it...............Chris DOES look a bit like Boo Boo don't he? I guess that means that Tyler must be Yogi, huh?

(I just couldn't resist...........it has been one of those Monday's!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gerstenecker
    Ya know Jim................now that ya mention it...............Chris DOES look a bit like Boo Boo don't he? I guess that means that Tyler must be Yogi, huh? (I just couldn't resist...........it has been one of those Monday's!)
    Well I was going to use the "S" word (as in M&Ms) but this is a family friendly place... "Boo-boo Patrol" works just as well.

What a bunch of whimps!

Jay,
    That's one of the problems with having "abs". "Fat" is a much better medium for absorbing impact from one of those little "cars" from the train. That is the first option that I would consider if I were you! On the other hand, those little "arrows" from the "thin" cuts can even make "dents" in a substantial "fat" layer! OUCH!! The good part is that the "arrows" rarely draw blood. They only bruise ribs and cause nasty marks.

I've been woodworking for almost forty years (Well - at least I CALL it woodworking). I've been very lucky due to the fact that I violate quite a few of the basic safety rules. On the positive side, the best safety advice I've ever heard is, "Listen to the wood". When it starts to complain, it will wreak vengence on the offender.

I don't mind bleeding because I know that that will heal. However, I HATE when the blood gets on the wood. That DOESN'T heal!! Anytime I come in from the shop before 7:00 PM, my wife asks, "Well, what happened THIS time?"

The worst cut I ever received from a power tool was about a week ago. I was working with my brand new 14.4 v DeWalt panel saw to cut some stair stringers for my neighbors cabin. I wasn't familiar with the saw and was watching the blade from the wrong angle. BINGO! The outside of my left thumb was "attacked" by the blade. BUMMER!! It was actually minor. I had about a 3/4" "flap" which needed flushing with cold water. Three of four drops of Gel Super Glue and a couple of those "butterfly" bandages sealed the "flap". A couple of wraps with black electrical tape did the rest. I was back to the stringers in about fifteen minutes. The best part was - NO blood on the wood!!

The moral of the story is, "Do all of the safety stuff that makes you comfortable but NEVER forget to 'LISTEN TO THE WOOD'!!"

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Jim,

That is sorta what I was talking about.

Charles,

I wasn't using the right side piece at the time, even though I have one. You make a good point that if I was, things would've been easier. I guess just a wedge with some RE magnets would be the best solution for when I'm not using the right side piece.

Chris,

You asked for it!

Dale,

Obvious from the pic, putting "abs" in quotes was a joke. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to see the slomo impact. I need to stay away from the snack cabinet at work!

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson

The worst cut I ever received from a power tool was about a week ago. I was working with my brand new 14.4 v DeWalt panel saw to cut some stair stringers for my neighbors cabin.
    Hey Peshtigo, maybe you oughta' consider a new cordless saw:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

LOL...thanks, Jay, now I know what they mean when they say, "Be careful what you ask for...you may get it!"

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    LOL...thanks, Jay, now I know what they mean when they say, "Be careful what you ask for...you may get it!"

Hey now ... (I think my response is against the rules)

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

New saw?

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey Peshtigo, maybe you oughta' consider a new cordless saw:

Hey Spring,
    NAW! I'm too smart for that. I'm gonna consider getting a new NEIGHBOR. He has a real good looking wife and I was uncharacteristically distracted.

By the way, I really like the saw. It cuts a narrow kerf, both in wood and in thumbs, and I was able to finish the stringers with my DeWalt Sabre saw - no chiseling required. I do not own a circular saw and never will again. Their blades are cord magnets and they always kicked back on me. The worst part, however, was the sound. I could NEVER get used to the SCHREECH!!

My saw is not made for cutting 2x's but the battery lasted for about eight steps. With two batteries, that was not a problem. I always have a bunch of mistakes to correct while the batteries are charging.

Do you want to buy a new neighbor? You've got money for everything else.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hey Spring,

Do you want to buy a new neighbor? You've got money for everything else.

Dale T.
    Naw, not even if I had all that $$$ you keep talkin' about! Lack of neighbors is just one of the reasons we live where we live. Less of a chance at being embarrassed by my "handy-work".
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!