Hi all,

I just got the HF dust collector since I had a coupon for $139. It's in the last two issues of Wood magazine and couldn't pass it up.
Because the bags are 5 micron I don't want to start using it until I have something better. I've looked at the canisters and like the Grizzly because of the paddles but man those prices!
I am just a hobbyist and won't spend entire weekends in the shop but do more occasional work. Do I really need a canister or can I get by with a 1 micron bag? If so which would you recommend?

If I end up spending more time in the shop I might consider removing the top bag and venting the unit to the outside.

My woodshop is the half part of a two and a half car garage. I plan on having the dc unit sit in the corner and use one 4" hose to go to the tool I will be using. I know this might be cumbersome but I have to start somewhere and figure out how I want the final design.

The only 4" outlets I have are on my table saw and planer. The router table and band saw have a 2 1/2" outlet. The jointer has nothing so I need something for that.

Is there a fitting that hooks up to an old craftsman 6" jointer or should I just build one myself?

I've compared prices for hoses, ABS blast gates and fittings at Woodcraft and HF and the latter is much cheaper. Are those decent or should I just go to Woodcraft and spend a bit more?