Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking fast pen blank prep ideas

Seeking fast pen blank prep ideas

I've turned a few pens now, enough that LOML has put in a bulk order for the holidays. So now I'm looking for ways to speed production. I've already advised her that new tools will be required

I have the mill, or whatever you call the drill bit for squaring the blanks.

I don't have, but will insist on, a pen press.

Blank preparation, especially drilling, seems to take the longest. Are there any cool commercial jigs for speeding this up? In particular, I was wondering about the Penn Super Blank Cutter. Is it any good?

Thanks!

Can't speak to the Super Blank Cutter, but I look forward to reading the replies.

I started a batch of slimlines Tuesday evening. I was able to cut, mark center, and drill all the pieces for 11 of them in an hour and a half. I can see where a table-saw and sled/jig could speed it up a bunch. It would eliminate the need to mark center before drilling.

When I'm doing pens in bulk, my biggest complaint is my drill press. only 2.25" throw. Missed it by that much.

My suggestions for efficiency: auto-centering drilling vise, drill press with > 3" throw.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I usually start with a blank that is 5/8 to 3/4 square and try to cut the end perpendicular to the length, this makes the blank stand 90 degrees to the table. As long as it's not laminated where I need the hole straight I don't take time to mark the center. I lift the bit out several times and don't go too fast but does not take long to drill 5-6 pair of blanks-2-3 minutes for each pen. A good brad point bit helps. Having the hole in the exact center is not that critical as long as there is enough wood around the hole to make it round. Hope this helps, works for me.

James,

You can do without the pen press. I've always just used a clamp as a press. Any of the trigger operated quick clamps work well, as do the more elaborate parallel jaw clamps. A vise also does the job, some have made jigs to use their drill press for this also.

Centering the blank in the drill press is a time consuming task, so a self centering blank vise is a good investment. Woodcraft has one that is supposed to work well.

The "blank cutter" looks like a nightmare to sharpen. You can round a blank in seconds on the lathe, I wouldn't bother with this one. Spend the money on a good vise or a roughing gouge if you don't already have one.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I would advise against "sharpening" the blank cutter. I tried, and it's never been duller....

What I did for speed drilling is buy a cheapo table vise from the BORG, the model that has the V-notches for drilling round stuff. I use the notches to hold the blanks. It's straight 90% of the time. The table vise is heavy enough that I feel comfortable hanging on the the vise when drilling. Otherwise teh self centering ones are the only way to go.

I made a cad drawing of Al Faul's pen press that is easy to make. Here is a link to my drawing if you want to make one.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...essPlans-1.pdf

Sid

James I use my bandsaw for cutting the blanks. I use a pen vise for drilling but don't get to shook up if they are a little off center unless they are laminated because that is what the lathe is for. I also use a pen press as it does speed the operation up a lot over clamps, vises, etc. Wouldn't waste my money or time with the super blank cutter. Again the lathe will make them round.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the tips.

Really, the only reason I'm considering the pen press is because I'll be producing pens for assembly by a Cub Scout den. The more I can let them do, the better. Now that I've priced some, don't think I care to spend $50 just for that.

Actually, my old reloading press may work pretty well.

If you sand your tubes as I do you might want to consider going to the hardware store and buying a piece of hex brass a 1/4" or larger. Use your grinder or sander to taper the end enough that your tube will easily slide on and off. Chuck this in your drill press or hand drill and it is an easy process to sand however many tubes you want in a few minutes with no hand fatigue.

I will hold the tube with the sandpaper of choice and slide it on the turning brass, sliding the sandpaper to the top and then pull it off with the sandpaper all in one smooth motion. Drop the tube in a waiting jar and do the next one.

Regards, Steve

HF has a machinists vise (the kind with cranks in two directions) that has a V cut jaw. That works great for lining up the blanks at the DP. Make sure your DP has enough throw.
    I made my pen press using one of those 'push clamps' used for making jigs, a piece of angle and a piece of MDF. Works for me, but your re-loading press would probably work better.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Hi,
    I use a gun of the type used to apply silicon sealer from a tube.
    A little piece of wood at each end to protect the pen, and the job is done.
    take care
    Don W

I have always used my drill press to press the pens together. I tried a pen press at a turn a thon,, Cheep Too
    Earl

James, If you buy a pen press don't buy the Grizzly, mine broke several times before I decided to rebuild it from scratch!

Shop mad pen press

I went to the hardware store and got a small length of solid 1/4" dia. steel rod and using some oak I had laying around, just built my own horizontal pen press after I saw one similar on a different pen turners forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMHO, the easiest thing is just to drill them on the lathe. Use a drill chuck mounted on a morse taper in the tail stock and hold the blank with a 4-jaw chuck in the headstock. The blanks will always be centered and it is super fast as a bonus.