Thread: Festool saves the day...

Festool saves the day...

...for me in a big way. Today I began installation of my next big project. Phase 1 is the new fireplace mantel. I started to install the lower columns for the main mantel and I ran into trouble with the stone surround. I purposely layed out the design for the interior of the mantel to overlap the stone by about a 1/2" in order to get a clean edge but, I forgot to allow for the extra depth off of the wall. So I was faced with either shim/trim all the way up (this two tiered mantel is 12'-0" high) and that just was not sounding very good. Then I remember my very recent purchase of a demo OF1000 router and the guide rails. I quickly went back to the shop picked up my router and rails and went back to the job site. I then proceded to rout out the scribed area I needed on the inside of the two columns and main horizontal mantel to perfectly meet the wall on the outside. Thank you Festool and Uncle Bob!!!!!! I still need to install the upper mantel piece which consists of an arched frame and panel top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul B. Cresti; 10-04-2004 at 10:04 PM.

Outstanding, Paul!!! Great piece of work and good "saved the day" story, too! Gotta love that black and green...

Smart move Paul!

That's one beefy looking mantlepiece! Looks like it could hold up that end of the wall. Is that only primed or is it already painted? What flavor stained wood on the middle? What else entails the project?

Todd

Phase 1

Todd,
    Yes it is primed. I sprayed it with Fuhr acrylic primer, very easy to use. The mantel top is cherry with shellac/gel stain/paste wax. Phase 1 is the mantel, Phase 2 is new base molding, cornice, triming out the two round top windows(in the picture) along with another Palladain style window and Phase 3 is a coffered ceiling. I make all my own moldings except for the crown on this project. They did not want to spring for custom crown . There are other phases to this project but they are looking to do them later on down the road.

Looks nice Paul and glad the tools helped solve a problem.

Bob
    bob m