Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser vs. Coroplast

Laser vs. Coroplast

I have recently purchased a laser and the question has come up....."Can you use a laser to cut coroplast to shape"? Is it the same as PVC and if so...definitely not. Has anyone done it????

Thanks

We have tried , the air assist flows thru the tubey grooves internal to the coroplast and helps set it alight - almost impossible to contain flaming. Rather leave it alone.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Coroplast, Corex, and others are made with polypropylene and OK to laser. I have cut shapes with it for signs, with some success and no flaming. I use a lower power, frequency, and more speed with two passes. There may still be a few places to hand cut but overall it's still a lot faster and nicer looking than cutting it all by hand.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Ok, I have a Trotec Speedy 300 .. 45 watt. Any idea where to start with the settings???

I looked at the settings I used last on my Epilog 45 watt, and it was speed 20, power 50, frequency 1000 for 3mm coro, 2 passes.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

We've cut it in 1 pass w/60W X-660. Cut's quick and easy, Polypro is less stinky than acrylic and contains no polyvinyls, so it's no problem. I don't recall settings, but we cut most stuff at 100%P and the fastest possible speed. There may have been trailing flare-ups, but no sustained ignition - Don't walk away.

Ok we'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

The trouble I've had with it hasn't been flaming, but rather the flutes. If you put the power at a point it cuts through the entire sheet, flutes and all, it's way too much power for the non-fluted area. If you make it cut through the non fluted area, it cuts great, but it won't cut the flutes. So I end up running it several times to get it to cut through. I've done it several times, but it's usually because it's for a good customer and I don't want to tell them no, to keep them from going somewhere else.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    The trouble I've had with it hasn't been flaming, but rather the flutes. If you put the power at a point it cuts through the entire sheet, flutes and all, it's way too much power for the non-fluted area. If you make it cut through the non fluted area, it cuts great, but it won't cut the flutes. So I end up running it several times to get it to cut through. I've done it several times, but it's usually because it's for a good customer and I don't want to tell them no, to keep them from going somewhere else.
    I have the same problem with it, so I just use it for quickie templates, and usually finish the cut with a box cutter..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I've just had the same question: how do you make it work?
    Over here a fair few signies are advertising they can laser cut corflute signs...
    But half an hour of fiddling with power and speed settings has led me to no conclusions, fast or slow, high or low power, the vertical webs don't want to cut unless you go super-slowly. and still trim it with a sharp box cutter afterwards.

I don't suppose anyone has any magic figures that worked - even varieties of coro are different, but it takes nothing to cut through the two flats, and a lot to get through the interweb.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

It's all in the type of nozzle you use. Needs to be close to the fluteboard (~1mm) and heaps of assist pressure, focus into the material by about a 3rd of its thickness. Remember it is polypropylene so it's trying to melt itself back together you need to counteract this by ablating the molten material with air pressure.
    Engraving Tools
    Trotec Speedy 300 75w
    Trotec Speedy 100 60w
    Bodor 30w Galvo Fiber
    Roland EGX-600
    Econoline sandblasting cabinet
    600mm Heater strip
    Printing and Vinyl
    Mimaki JV33-160
    Mimaki CG-160FXII
    Mimaki UJF-3042
    1600mm Heat Assist Laminator
    Talon Digital Finishing System
    Software
    Coreldraw X5
    Cut 2D

That makes sense- thanks Scott.
    The machine I was trying it on is the 'new' Golden laser, with air assist. You focus the nozzle by lowering it onto a bit of 3mm acrylic as a spacer.
    I'll try & go lower and see.

PS thanks for the offer of help in March - the replacement ULS tube came in time to get the job done on time!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

My only experience with the stuff was cutting 24" tall GENERAL STORE letters out of the 3mm thick stuff. Was 7 years ago, for the store at our boat harbor. Still looks brand new, and faces the south-west sun. Good stuff. All I remember is that it WAS slow to cut with my 40w machine, but not so slow as 1/8" plex. I don't use air or nozzles, and there were no flame problems (but my LS900 has a very good exhaust setup that sucks flames away).
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

At least half the laser fires I've been told about have been on coreflute... watch it very very closely. Its not always the material that burns immediately, at least one person told me there was molten burning plastic dripping which caught fire.

The waxed kraft paper on acrylic can do that too- hence removing it first...
    Last edited by Ian Stewart-Koster; 06-24-2017 at 5:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Best wishes,
    Ian