Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options to heat tiny shop.

Options to heat tiny shop.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I've got a small shop, 12x16, 9 ft ceilings. Last year I heated with an old electric milkhouse heater. There was daylight showing through the walls in places, and this heater was sufficient. For instance, I could do glue-up on all but the coldest (-20 degrees) of days.

I reworked the space a bit this summer - large insulated windows on the south wall, plywood floor instead of the old cracked slab, tighented up the walls and doors. I'm finishing the insulation right now.

The little heater I used last year has given up the ghost - just too decrepit to fix up. I could easily go buy a new one like it, but wonder what other suggestions folks have.

I heat my 19.5ft x 13.5ft shop with this electric heater:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_595_595

It's in a detached building that currently has no insulation (going to fix that very soon) and it has worked very well.

It's also on sale right now.

Karl,
    First I would ask is what you want your source to be? My shop is about the same size, but 8' X 24', a barn style shed on a concrete slab that I've been converting to my shop! Personally for me, I don't want to heat with electric since right now I only have 20 amps @ 220V available for tools and such.
    Using kerosene right now, works really well and aquired the heater for free, but the fumes are not the best to deal with!
    Seriously considering switching to propane, this model in particular...
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7975_200307975

Electric might work for you, but starting in 2010 electric company rate caps in PA are lifted and rates will increase enough that propane/gas/oil heat will be more cost effective... not sure what you best option is for $$ in WI...

Blog Entries
    Look at the old heater and determine the wattage and then shop for a new heater with similar or slightly higher wattage if you were satisfied with the level of heat it provided. 220V heats cheaper than 120V and baseboard heaters work well without stirring up the dust like a fan type heater will do.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    220V heats cheaper than 120V
    Please explain your basis Lee.

ideals?

I think right now a small electric would be ideal - I don't have 220 in the shop, since I mostly Neander. Eventually I'd like to put in a little fish-shack wood stove, but that's a year or two down the line.

Would an electric coil heater be better than ceramic? Never used a ceramic, so I know nothing about it. Is there an appreciable difference?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Please explain your basis Lee.
    220 has less line loss and 120V heaters are usually built pretty cheaply.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    220 has less line loss and 120V heaters are usually built pretty cheaply.....

The difference in line losses between 220 and 120 are probably minimal, unless on a long run, but for arguments sake I'll agree.

Just wanted to clarify your claim, some mistakenly think that you pay less for 220V power vs. 120V.

I will also agree with Lee that 120V space heaters are not very well built for the most part. There are, however, many more "permanent" type 120V heaters that are built just like their 220V versions, just pre-wired for 120V.

I can't really speak for coil vs. ceramic, but I would think ceramic would be more efficient. I have seen ads for those "hydrostatic" baseboard styles, that have 120V models, and that seems like a good choice if you don't mind the higher initial cost.

Blog Entries
    I heated a shop in Iowa with this little Vornado heater. Electric, thermostat control, tip-over protection, and doesn't get hot to the touch (important if you have kids or pets around).

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-VH2-Vo...9953872&sr=8-2

I use one of those milkhouse heaters in my 625 sq. ft. heavily insulated shop. I just turn it way down low. Mine has min and max settings. On low heat and no. 2 on the dial my shop is 55° and it warms up to 60°+ in less than 1/2 hour with all the lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Wicklund View Post

I've got a small shop, 12x16, 9 ft ceilings. Last year I heated with an old electric milkhouse heater. There was daylight showing through the walls in places, and this heater was sufficient. For instance, I could do glue-up on all but the coldest (-20 degrees) of days.

I reworked the space a bit this summer - large insulated windows on the south wall, plywood floor instead of the old cracked slab, tighented up the walls and doors. I'm finishing the insulation right now.

The little heater I used last year has given up the ghost - just too decrepit to fix up. I could easily go buy a new one like it, but wonder what other suggestions folks have.
    If you can get your hands on a decent replacement for the milkhouse heater, I'd go that route.

I have one of the Dayton (there are several versions with a ton of different names) heaters in my 25x25x9 insulated shop and it works fine. Fact is, I also have a Holmes Workman milk house heater that has worked flawlessly for about 10 years and it preceded the Dayton in the shop; it was just a little short of stuff for the space I needed to heat.

I'd avoid the Holmes clones (called Workforce, I think) currently available at HD for $17.95. They are a POS.

heat

Power is an issue for me. I have about 200 sf in south jersey. Gets cold but not Wisconsin. The Kero heater went south so I got a propane Mr. Heater Big Buddy at a camper place. Say it does 400sf. Works good but haven't used it in really cold conditions yet. The fumes from the Kero got to be an issue. Heard I smelled of it. I'll know more after the winter. I get up to feed the dog, turn it on and its ready by the time I go in but again it hasn't been bonechilling here yet. I do think their claims as to fuel consumption are accurate.

finally decided, sort of

I picked up a small ceramic space heater at the local hardware store - theoretically it puts out 5000 btu, but the milkhouse heater with similar rating was much warmer.
    However, as luck would have it, another one of the small ceramics came my way. My temporary plan is to use just one on most days, plug the other into circuit#2 on those -30* nights over Christmas. Not an elegant solution, but it should work.
    I'll let you know how what the effectiveness and efficiency is like when I've used it a bit.
    Thanks for the advice, guys! Great to have this community as I'm starting out.

How about a pellet stove?

If you can swing it, get a pellet stove!

I put one in a couple of weeks ago and it's the best shop purchase I ever made. Mine is adjustable and can even be connected to a room thermostat. All I have to do is fill the hopper with pellets once in awhile and dump out the ash bin every few days.

Many models (if not all) also qualify for up to a $1500 tax credit.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Wicklund View Post