Thread: Shop HVAC gloat

Shop HVAC gloat

I don't post a lot, but I'm on vacation right now, so I actually have time!

With all the A/C threads popping up, I couldn't resist posting this.

IMG_2488 (Large).JPG
    Gloat part 1--
    Unit is a 2 ton, 24000 btu package heat pump. A friend of mine was upsizing the unit on his house, so he loaded this one up and brought it to me for $150. It is 2 years old and in better shape than the picture suggests (I didn't bother to clean the outside.)

IMG_2491 (Large).jpgIMG_2493 (Large).jpg
    Gloat part 2--
    Most of the ductwork was salvaged out of the scrap pile at one of our bigger jobsites that was finishing up. I bought all the miscellaneous pieces to complete the duct work for under $50. Around another $50 for the breaker, t-stat, and control wire. The electrician on my current jobsite gave me the power wire from his salvage stash. Nice to have connections!

All in all I have about $250 in the setup, so I'm pretty happy.

I did all the install and it runs well when I turn it on, but the pictures don't show that the insulation in the ceiling is incomplete, I haven't rebuilt the sliding shop doors to seal well yet, and I have to move some stuff to finish the last piece of ductwork. It will certainly work to keep my shop cooled and heated when I do get all these done, but long term performance and operating cost are yet to be determined. Also, there have been a lot of interior and exterior changes to my shop that you may notice if you compare these gloat pics to my shop thread linked abpve, but I don't have the pics with me, so I'll have to start that thread after I get back home.

How very cool

You suck! Excellent score!